Sunday 8 November 2015

World Making, Inextinguishable Fires and Tate Late

This weeks been incredibly productive in terms of ideas generated and art work created. The really unfortunate aspect of my week's that I haven’t actually been to any galleries, I did go to a few performances however, which were all superb.

Monday began with the first of four seminars which are all centred on Science Fiction. I chose this area of study over a range of other choices because of my general love for science fiction, and more specifically Philip K. Dick and his vast array of novels and short stories. Before Monday’s session everyone from the group had been instructed to read the short story ‘The Machine Stops’ by E. M. Forster. It was an intriguing read, which seemingly predicted the life that we’re all (in the western world) slowly migrating towards, where we can’t do anything without being hooked up to the internet and are slaves to the very thing that we believe enables us to live complicated lives full of wonder and excitement.

During the seminar lots of ideas surrounding the origins of science fiction were discussed, as well as gaining a perspective of how it must have felt living in a time where these things were being imagined by people who didn’t even have a horse and cart. There was talk of the industrial revolution inspiring sci-fi, by creating a mixture of fear and hope for civilians in a new age of wonder. Many sci-fi figureheads from around that time were all discussed, like Edgar Allen Poe, Mary Shelley and Jules Verne. After being given some basic context of the time we discussed the short story. I found the whole thing incredibly enjoyable and thought-provoking, and can’t wait for tomorrow’s session where we will be discussing ‘There Will Come Soft Rains’ by Ray Bradbury.

For the rest of the day I was setting up my work to be shown at the group crit that was happening on Tuesday. This involved preparing my sculptures, and considering how to display them, as well as thinking about my videos and whether or not I wanted to display the physical original controller anymore. The end result looked like this:

I chose to have the plaster controllers blending into the wall, which confronts the idea of reality vs virtual and a lot of thoughts looking at the loss of memory, among other things. As I was putting up the plaster work it was also suggested that it looked like a climbing wall, which tied into the idea of duplicating reality and referencing play, free time, childhood activity and bettering oneself.

To replicate the sense of being in a box or a small, cramped space I decided to display the video work rested against the wall on my kindle, which was partly inspired by Eva and Franco Mattes’ ‘Breaking Banality’ exhibition, where the televisions are displayed at awkward angles, forcing the viewer to crane their neck or lie down on the floor. I spent many hours creating the series of 7 short clips, and putting them together to represent 19 years of my life. After displaying the – almost – 3 hour video however I’ve been slowly thinking that that may not be enough hours, so currently I’m thinking of making one showing an average lifespan of a human being, which was my initial thought anyway. Unfortunately I can't put the video here, as it's way too big, but here's a short clip:
In the end, as you can see, I decided to display the controller, but with only the insides of the thing. This brings into question a lot of the ideas that Rachel Whiteread is discussing within her work, thinking about what you’re actually casting when you create a mould? This is a wild contrast to my early concept of taking the object and changing something very subtly, with ideas of reflection and re-thinking. I feel that these thoughts are still present within the work, but aren’t as key, which is both good and bad; ‘we fear change.’

Later in the day I had a lecture on Conceptual Art, which was really exciting. So many interesting aspects of conceptual work were discussed, and many awe inspiring artists were brought up, including Lawrence Weiner, On Kawara, Carl Andre and Joseph Kosuth. Just that initial idea of dematerialisation is interesting to me, as well as all the aspects of the work that come after that. The writing of a manifesto is also fascinating, and seems to be key in terms of creating something from a pure idea. Whatever that means? Questioning the relationship between the idea and the actual manifestation of the object also intrigues me, Sol Lewitt’s ‘Wall Drawing’ series was brought up in connection to this idea. It was an inspiring lecture that makes me think about my own practice and which forms I want it to transform into.

On Tuesday the group crit occurred, which I do always find to be interesting, whether it be good or bad work being displayed. It’s an experience that helps you to understand other people’s thinking, as well as visualising your own and gaining important feedback from your work. The crit was also being run by a visiting artist, who was – in our case – Georgina Starr, whose work I do find very interesting and layered. The feedback for my work was helpful, with thoughts about losing control (there’s a joke in there, too) and how to display that within the video work, the idea of broken sculptures and the rejuvenation of them (referencing old statues that are remade), the wire of the controller being a loop, referencing death, and the umbilical cord nature of it going into the wall, showing life, which is ultimately portrayed in the video which loops for seemingly forever. There were many more paths that were pointed out to me, which were all really helpful, but I’ll keep those to myself until I’ve incorporated them into my work.

During the day there was also the artist talk, who was Jem Finer. I’m definitely a fan of his work, especially ‘Longplayer’, which is a piece of music that spans 1000 years, as well as a more recent piece titled ‘Supercomputer’, which was extensively talked about. Some interesting thoughts that I wrote down include the idea of overwriting the writing, in connection to his piece titled ‘Everywhere All The Time’ and that art discovery is encouraged, and that the ambiguous nature of something is positive. A lot of the work, for me, was being allowed to develop throughout its life cycle, left to its own devices, to see what would occur if you took the human element out of the equation. This suggestion intrigued me. He finished the talk by showing one of his Piano Pieces, which are always hilarious to see, the subversion of what is and isn’t is always fascinating to observe.

On Wednesday I was back in the studio, considering all of the feedback that I had been given. I started to think about how to make my models on Sketchup into an environment that you could explore, so after looking around I started to use a program called Unity, where I was able to transform my model into a world of its own. After many hours and helpful YouTube tutorials I was able to manoeuvre a figure through this micro world that I had created, using an Xbox controller hooked up to my computer.
This is a completely new avenue of work for me, with many things to consider. The possibilities within this program are endless, but to cope with that I think I’m going to create something that’s very simple and small. This conforms to the central concept of everything being enclosed within a tiny space that feels endless, be it in reality or in a fictitious game state. I have a number of different ideas for this real but not real space that I’m working in, tying into the frustration that occurs within video games, as well as the fact that I’m building a space that you can only observe, that there is no ‘next level’.

On Wednesday I also began to compile a list of the jokes that don’t work when they’re written down, as a sort of break from the mind-bending computer based work. This is the short list that I could come up with, via the internet and from talking to a few of my peers.
I also started to look into creating my own music for the long video. My thoughts are to craft a very long and monotonous sound that slowly changes throughout the films length. I began to use a range of software that was designed to be used by children, appropriating it for my own art work that looks at the youth of today.

I also experimented a little by creating a sort of distorted controller, made from chopped up plaster pieces. The end result was interesting, but was a step away from the questions that I’m exploring surrounding space and the blending of reality. I also played around with paint.


On Thursday I continued to think about my videos, and started to add colour back into them. My initial thought was that throughout the long period of time the colours could ever so slowly change from being bright and shiny to a very dull grey. After a while I soon realised that to do this it would literally take weeks, maybe months of my time, turning me into ‘The Boy With The Square Eyes’. So I conceded to simply create a few videos with colour and move on from there, and to see where it goes.
As well as this I carried on with making the worlds to walk around in. I’ve been slowly familiarising myself with the software, but it’s incredibly difficult to get my head around.
In the afternoon I had a recorded tutorial with John Douglas Millar. It was an incredibly thought-provoking experience that opened my eyes to many artists and books that I wasn’t yet aware of but must read immediately! I’ve started to read Gamer Theory, the first of many books in response to this encounter, that looks at how ‘gamified’ our lives have become in everyday society. I’ve come across some of the ideas before via podcasts and other mediums, but it’s still a great read which relates to my practice.

In the evening I went to a Spill Festival ‘Think Tank Salon’ event titled ‘Demise of the Urban Free’. The conversation was good, but not as art-based as I would have liked. A few simple thoughts and ideas that I enjoyed were comments like “it’s all dirty money”, “we’re all workers”, and the idea of artist gentrification and the commodification of performance work. I was definitely happy that I attended the event.

            Friday began with a short meeting/lecture where we as a year group discussed lots of thoughts surrounding the studio space and how it could be used in a better, more productive way. A few people talked about why they’re not in the space on a regular basis, the reason (or excuse) being that no one else is working in the space. I think everyone can see the irony in that statement…

For the rest of the day I continued with my ongoing projects, thinking more about what I could do with the video, reversing it back at the half way point in a humans life, or layering multiple videos on top of one another, having one going forwards in time and another going backwards, thinking about the ‘if I’m not moving forwards then I’m moving backwards’ philosophy. I quite like how, in this clip, the software has decided to put it's watermark on my work, I'm still considering whether I like it or not.
Whilst opening up the images to edit on Photoshop, I had a thought, which is definitely something that I want to explore, which is shown below.
On top of this I had a new idea of how to display the video work, as opposed to using a screen inside a box. Here’s a mock up that I created using Sketchup:
In this installation model the television at the top of the plinth can only be seen by putting your head into the hole at the bottom, forcing the viewer to interact with the object in ways that they wouldn’t usually do. It can also be seen by not doing this, but only parts of the screen, snippets if you will. This made me think about Trisha Donnelly’s work at the Serpentine last year, which I’ve talked about before, where she slightly manipulated the space by painting part of the wall in an off white colour and took away parts of the ply board, exposing the inner workings of the wall. In a way this piece of work could function if you had to poke your head into the wall, to see a screen embedded within it, but I’m aware that taking away a part of the wall could be complicated and messy.

In the evening I went to ‘Late at Tate’ at the (you guessed it) Tate Britain. This was a fun event, but was incredibly crowded (as you’d expect). So I was unable to go to the talk, or see any of the performances. However it’s always cool to be in a gallery, drinking a beer and enjoying art in the evening.
On Saturday I took a day to simply be, which I haven’t done in a while. Rather than doing work I spent the majority watching the new Netflix series titled ‘Master of None’. It was an incredibly heart-warming and very real portrayal of a short moment in a young-ish man’s life. It reminded me of High Maintenance and the lives of the people that ‘The Guy’ interacts with on a daily basis. I would highly recommend it.

In the evening I went to Battersea Arts Centre to see a performance titled ‘The Notebook’. This involved two actors, each reading from individual notebooks, every so often changing their position around the room, either standing or sitting on chairs, facing forwards or facing towards each other. The content was quite scarring, and I’m not going to say anymore, as that would ruin it. All I will say is that it was an intense experience that was easily visualised, even though there were no real props to speak of.

Today I went to two different performances as part of Spill Festival. One was titled ‘The Privileged’ which was a stressful 60 minutes that ended when literally everybody walked out of the performance. It primarily involved the audience being put into a zoo keepers’ shoes, and following instructions via pieces of paper enclosed within numbered envelopes that had been left on the chairs that we all sat on, arranged in a square so that we were all looking at each other. The ‘performer’ of sorts was a man dressed in a polar bear costume, who appeared to be sleeping when you walked into the room. What followed was quite incredible, with a lot of discussion about whether we as a group should follow these rules or not, and it all coming to a head when we were told to undress the ‘animal’. If you want to re-consider everything I would recommend going to this, if you don’t mind finding out that you’re, in fact, a closet psychopath.

The next show was a very short event that was called ‘Inextinguishable Fire’. This began with a women - nearly naked – standing on the stage, who was slowly dressed in many layers of clothing that had been thoroughly dipped in a fire retardant substance. She was then lit on fire for a very brief 14 seconds, it was then promptly extinguished and she was pulled out of the room. There the performance ended. The second part was a slowed down clip of the fire lighting process occurring, which was projected onto one of the walls of the Southbank Centre. I found it to be really awesome, but incredibly controlled. Obviously this was the point, but still. The previous performance was ultimately more interesting.
The week ahead contains another seminar on Science Fiction, an artist talk, a lecture and a recorded tutorial. I also hope to visit many shows this week, but who knows what will happen. I’ll also be continuing on with my projects, progressing forwards with some and not so much with others. I look forward to how it will unravel and reveal itself to me in the next few days.

Snapchat:
bob.bk

No comments:

Post a Comment