Friday 18 December 2015

Ai Weiwei, Molly Soda and Crash

The final week of term was enjoyable, if a little relaxed, aimlessly wandering around, attempting to create work and occasionally being successful in that endeavour. The past few days, being out of London, have been a little weird. The lack of things to do is highly demotivating, which is saddening, but relaxing in a comfortable environment is quite enjoyable. I’ve been mostly watching films and trying to do a little work, now and then.

On Monday (last week) I went into uni for a discussion with John about the essay questions, which was incredibly helpful, picking apart what all the questions mean and recommending different books to read and things to see.

On Tuesday I had my feedback tutorial, which was thought provoking in a number of ways. The main criticism of my work was that it had too much finish, which is not necessarily a bad thing, I think it’s more to do with having an idea that doesn’t have to be sanded down to the bone, with everything so precise and well thought out. I don’t know, I still need to think about it more, and whether or not I want to fully take on what was said, as it would completely change the way I work and my practice in general.

The last artist talk of the term was by Anne Hardy, whose work I admire greatly. I enjoyed seeing the progression of the work, and the way in which she’s currently working, making artwork about making artwork. The work feeding the work from the process of making previous work. This in itself is very interesting to me, along with the enclosed spaces that she creates, as well as the soundscapes which accompany them. I’m quite annoyed that I won’t be travelling to Oxford to see her current exhibition; FIELD at Modern Art Oxford, which looks amazing.

The rest of the week was spent going to galleries and completing a range of my projects, getting everything done that could only be accomplished in London. Wednesday was a full day of art, where I saw an incredible amount of work.

I began by going to the Serpentine Galleries, the Michael Craig-Martin was first up, which was so dull. This was obviously expected, but it was annoying for this expectation to become a reality. I much prefer his old work, where he experimented with conceptualism, playing around with the idea that because the artist says an object is one thing, it must be that thing. Obviously he moved on from this work a long time ago, but I can always hope. His now work does remind me of Patrick Caulfield’s paintings, just in terms of aesthetics, rather than on a conceptual basis. Caulfield’s classic work ‘After Lunch’ is, in my opinion, far superior to a lot of Martin’s current works.

However in the other space, Simon Denny’s exhibition ‘Products for Organising’ was on show. It was primarily centred on hacking, showcasing a number of fictitious machines intended for hacking into people’s computers and their lives. At times I was consumed by humour, whilst at other points I was deeply horrified, which made for an intense experience. I remember seeing his piece for the Venice Biennale this year, as I was walking through the main airport, looking down and finding out that I was in fact, walking on ‘Secret Power’.  At the time this was incredibly surreal, not five minutes of the plane and already encountering artwork. Time is a very weird thing.

I then went to many other galleries that I shall briefly list. The Austrian Cultural Forum, which had some film and sculptural work, one involving body parts being shown in front of Greek (I think) statues. I then went to – in no actual order – Vilma Gold, which had some projected film work going on of female bodies, Sadie Coles with some large scale ‘real life’ paintings, David Zwirner showing of some early Mondrian (who actually wants to see early Mondrian!?) and a variety of abstract paintings. I also went to the Pippy Houldsworth Gallery, which had paintings which were uninteresting and drawings which were also not too exciting. Near that was the Alan Cristea Gallery showing prints made by sculptors, Herald Street Gallery exploring a satirical (are there any other types?) comic strip, Elisabetta Cipriani with a range of works by Jimmie Durham and Ai Weiwei, also the Stephen Friedman Gallery with some bad paintings alongside some quite beautifully elegant sculptures.

I also went to the Frith Street Gallery, which had some interesting baths being displayed, and the Marian Goodman Gallery whose entire ground floor had been re-shaped to allow for multiple water installations by Cristina Iglesias, as well as some Jeff Wall photographs which were upstairs. The water pieces were quite intoxicating.
Venturing over to Raven Row was worth it, as a range of experimental film work was playing throughout the gallery, one of the films was 480 minutes. That’s (if you aren’t aware) a lot of minutes. The Hales Gallery was also great, with a playful installation accompanied by a film. The work was by Rachael Champion, Agnes Denes and Rachel Pimm. Before moving into the gallery space you were given wireless headphones, so you were able to explore the physical work whilst listening to the video work which was being displayed on a large monitor in one corner of the room. Although this experience is not a new one, due to the nature of the films soundscape (the day to day life inside a factory) all of the work was heightened within the space, and made me incredibly aware of everything around me. I intend to consider this for my own work in the future in some way or another.
I believe the final gallery of the day was Annka Kultys Gallery, with work by Molly Soda. The use of the multiple screens was interesting, as was the curation of the show. The actual work (in terms of the content of the videos) for me is very weak. I understand what’s going on, but I don’t really feel a true connection with the work, which I feel is needed for the video pieces. One of the aspects of the show that did interest me though, was the price of the video work. You were able to purchase the individual videos, but the price was dependant on how many views the video had gotten, for example, on YouTube. This really did interest me, and made me think about my own work, and the idea of selling a video piece that can be viewed online for anyone to see, and how they can be achieved.

On the Thursday I went to a few more galleries and spaces. Pace London had some vaguely good work being shown, Liu Jianhua’s porcelain installation was very cool, black drips falling down the walls. Anthony Caro and a few other people were being shown downstairs, enjoyable work that we’ve all seen before. Pi Artworks had some new work on too, but it was less interesting than the last show that was there, which had been overflowing with gold and beauty.

My favourite experience of the day was going to Carrol // Fletcher and seeing Christine Sun Kim’s work with sound. The interactive installation was amazing, and I would thoroughly recommend going. Her video work was also fantastic, exploring classic films whilst using her deafness to her advantage, rather than it becoming a hindrance.
On Friday I went into the studio, surveying the work that I had created during the term, reflecting upon it and wondering whether it was time well spent or not. I also got around to filming someone (myself) playing my ‘game’ (which may turn into its own thing as a performance piece) as well as photographing all of my sculptures from this term. These can all be viewed on my main website. I also hopped over to the Tate to see ‘Artists & Empire’ which was dull, and War Damaged Musical Instruments by Susan Philipsz, which was not so dull. It was an immersive sound installation going on throughout the main hall area, which was quite incredible.

In the evening I went to the opening of Random Darknet Shopper, which is an exhibition by !Mediengruppe Bitnik. This consisted of a computer and a few cabinets, which will slowly fill up with items in the next few weeks, as the ‘bot’ buys more goods from the Darknet. This in itself is a very fun idea, I’ll definitely be heading back when there are more products on show.
Later on I went to the Ai Weiwei show at the RA. I’ve been wanting to go for a while, and as it was the last few days, I thought that I should. As it was the last two days of the work being on show, the gallery was open for a full 48 hour period. It was a truly awesome experience to be walking around the space at about 2 o’clock in the morning, being vaguely drunk and looking at the artwork. The actual work was all fairly interesting, the type of work that I would have loved this time last year, but right now I’m unsure.

The next day I came home, and have been watching films and doing vague amounts of work ever since, slowly updating my website with the work that I’ve been doing. I made a new film, created entirely using footage from Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (a video game). The movie explores the same ideas of monotony, and wanting to reach a utopian space that you’ll never actually get to (the oasis within the film represents this) as well as the slow loss of control as you continue on with life. This aspect of the work is portrayed through the relationship between the music and the different screens. At first the screens are simple, with the music corresponding to every little movement, as you go on however the music begins to move to its own rhythm, as the screens become more complicated and the movement more jagged. There are – obviously – some blatant sexual connotations within the work, as you will get when using the mirroring tool. This does come into the concept and meaning within the piece, but only partly, as a side-meaning.
On top of this I’ve been working more with Zooks, and have started to put together a film, where the beings are ‘performing’ on the live streaming website Twitch. The video shows multiple screens, all showing different creatures being unable to move, as they are held down by a huge blue cube. The screens are then slowly disregarded and removed from the screen. This is only the beginning of something, I still have a lot to do with this work.
I also made a range of internet collages that I’ve been making in my free time into a piece of work within itself, which can be viewed on my main website. These are a series of pieces that I’ve been working on for a while now, taking in mind figureheads of popular culture as well as my own influences within my life. I enjoy how grossly kitsch they are, as well as the overwhelmingly bright colours.


Last week I also scrapped the ‘shooting’ video, as I thought that it had too many connotations which I wasn’t entirely interested in. I am also yet to re-visit the piece involving the avatars, I do plan to at some point soon though, minus the Zooks, as they have now become their own thing. Or I may scrap it too, as the new series of videos titled ‘Dark Content’ by Eva and Franco Mattes uses these avatars extensively throughout the films. I’ll continue to think about this.

 I did mention films earlier, and I’ve been watching a steady amount in the past few weeks. These include, Apocalypse Now, Room 237, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut, Dr. Strangelove, Crash, (both of them,  I watched the non-Cronenberg one accidently) Naked Lunch, Adaptation, The Holy Mountain, The Martian, A History of Violence and Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope (refreshing my memory before going to see the new one). All these films were pretty incredible, The Holy Mountain was so very weird and crazy, and Room 237 shed some light on how amazingly clever Kubrick was.

It’s very weird to be back in a space that I know but don’t know at the same time. It’s an incredibly obvious thing to think about, and everyone probably considers it in one way or another, but it’s still a thing that’s happening within my head at the moment.

Over the next few weeks I want to get on with my essay, so that that’s out of the way, and I can solely concentrate on my work. I’m also going to continue to watch films, and actually get some reading done too over this holiday period. It’s been good to relax though, its peaceful here.

Daily Snapchat:
bob.bk

No comments:

Post a Comment