Sunday 1 May 2016

The Jungle Book, Psycho Social and The Ninth Configuration

The past week has been slightly consumed by the exhibition; lots of group meetings and many hours spent exploring the space with our work, figuring out what worked best where alongside a few other factors. Overall it was a fun, incredibly tiring and stressful experience, one that I’m definitely looking forward to taking part in again in the future.

30/30 has officially ended; which feels very weird. You don’t quite realise how much a daily routine impacts you until that routine is no longer occurring. I think it was a really fun thing to have been a part of, allowing me to really consider what my practice is centred around alongside the ‘work process’. I look forward to the exhibition and next year if the 12ΓΈ collective decide to put on the project again. It would be a really interesting thing to compare work that I’ve made over the last month with the work I’d make in a years’ time over the same 30-day period. The final piece that the artist duo Sid and Jim made for 30/30 sums up my reflective thoughts perfectly:
This final week of work had some highs and lows, on Monday the brief was ‘remake yesterday’s work. Is it better with practice, or lacking through repetition?’ I simply took a video capture of my video from the day before playing on YouTube and edited the view count so that over 2 million people had seemingly ‘watched’ my video, making it seem ‘better’ but in a fictitious way, similar to the buying of followers on Twitter for example. It was titled The Ten Commandments of Gunny Revisited.
On the 26th the brief was ‘translate your work into another sense’. I took an image from the video game Proteus, where you wander around an island as the seasons slowly change around you, and added some vaguely evocative text; ‘it smells nice in here’. Juxtaposing the two senses, the feeling of coldness that you get from the image with the text informing the viewer that it smells nice in this mystical space was a fun thing, with the text being made to look slightly Vaporwave-esque in manner. I called it it’s cold here. This, surprisingly, made it onto the thirty page which was exciting.
The 27th was okay, if slightly a bored attempt to make something that I’d already made in the past. The brief was ‘make a work from all the things on your desktop.’ Something that I’ve done a lot in the past, so instead of just submitting a piece from Internet Surveillance, Inc. I decided to just make a new thing, which was just dull, dripping of boredom. It was called the toad abides.
On Thursday the brief was one of those classic questions ‘what work do your relatives think /wish /hope you make?’ Obviously my mind went straight to painting. After rummaging around in my head for a few ideas I finally decided to create an assemblage of all the ‘best paintings’ from Google. I layered them in Photoshop and then added in the genius that is Neil Buchanan from Art Attack in the centre; encompassing everything that people from ‘my generation’ in this first world country associate with art, as well as our parents I assume. A mixture of sticking with the brief whilst going against it. I like the idea of using Buchanan in a piece of work, being so synonymous with the ‘art world’ but in a very different way from how Duchamp is for example. Maybe for a later project I’ll come back to this. I called the piece my grandma likes apples, which goes back to an old drawing of mine, from when I was around eleven or twelve which I gave to my grandma, which featured two apples on a plate. I believe that that drawing is still in their house somewhere, it would be interesting to see it again.
On the 29th the brief was ‘Can you make a work that’s a guilty pleasure?’ Instead of making the watching/consuming of the work a guilty pleasure in itself, I decided to centre the piece around myself, and about my guilty pleasures. I decided to create a video piece featuring Casey Neistat whose videos I watch every day but continually hate myself for doing so. At this point I’ve watched too many to stop, wasting more and more of my daily life consuming this annoying man’s life. I then inserted a variety of videos featuring ‘biggest bong hits’ on top of Nesitat’s first vlog. This takes me back to a time where I would probably have watched these videos in my spare time. The contrast between the dull content that I watch now with the dull videos that I used to watch is simply evocative of how much of the stuff on YouTube is just boring. The guilty pleasures from now and old combined to create a weird video. It was called Bong Mot, another call-back to a phrase coined by my earlier self. It was also translated by Facebook from Vietnamese to ‘Frozen too’. I don’t think I can fit that in with the ‘meaning’, although it’s one of those weird things that Facebook does. Maybe I should make a work about that at some point…
As yesterday was the last day I wanted to make something all encompassing, something that looked back on my previous work whilst responding to the brief ‘try making that work you’ve been wanting to make over the past month, and never got round to making.’ Unfortunately, I was very busy yesterday at the gallery space, where there’s also no wifi, so I cobbled together a few things and came up with a very nonsensical image featuring the sun shining on my laptop keys, a disembodied hand as well as a few mouse arrows. The evocative title where is this? is in response to a question that came up during my crit in the exhibition space the previous day. Mixing together these forms for the last day of 30/30 allowed me to create something of the ‘now’, with 3D modelling on the rise which will lead to cybernetic beings (which has arguably already happened according to many philosophers) accompanied by the obsessions with technology mixing with outside properties, in this case the sun. The mice pointers also come into play here. Overall it was an okay outcome, but I would’ve loved to have some time to create something all encompassing, summing up my feelings towards the project rather than another random thing; although making the last work in bed simulates all the other times that I’ve made the day’s work in bed before I’ve gotten up, be it when I was on holiday or back in London, so that’s kind of nice.
Back to my week, full of stress and anxiety. During the lead up to the private view on Friday we as a group had a few days beforehand to get used to the huge space, considering how best it should be used among other things. We eventually came to various decisions, all finding our own spaces whilst interacting with each other’s work in different ways. There are lots of things which could have worked a lot better which we discussed last night whilst walking around the gallery space, critiquing each of our different works as a reflective experience, considering what everyone had done, whether or not we’d like to exhibit with the same people again and so on. As the groups work was predominantly technology based, be it a simple video work or a set of huge speakers, the amount of thought that went into the wiring as well as general thoughts was substantial. Having such a big space for the first offsite exhibition was probably a mistake, but looking back it was definitely a huge learning experience. I also learned a lot about how people interacted with my work, subtly watching various groups looking at the different pieces throughout the night of the private view.

In terms of what I actually exhibited, it did slightly change as the week went on. I decided to incorporate my Snapchat video piece into the work as well as draping my fabric onto a bean bag to be sat on, rather than hanging from tripods. All of these last minute decisions added to the installation, but made it slightly over-complicated. For the private view I had attached one of the tripods with a surveillance camera to the wall, situated beside another tripod/surveillance camera. On reflection I didn’t need it at all and that I probably used them as I felt like I had spent too much money on these material things to not use them, when in actuality I should have just accepted my losses, keeping it simple. These are a few images/videos of the exhibition space as a whole, as well as specifically my own work:



After the private view I decided to destroy the bricks, partly because I didn’t want to go through the hassle of transporting them back to uni as well as the fact that through the act of destroying them I could make a new piece of work from it; a performance piece where I destroy the data that’s embedded within the blocks, eliminating the stolen files whist freeing them in a way. After destroying them however I decided to create a new piece from them again; building the blocks up into plinth like structures where the recovered USB sticks can be displayed. The performance and the block towers have now formed a new piece of work which is viewable on my website here:

http://www.bobbicknell-knight.com/#/dismantled-data/
In other news, the lecture on Tuesday was on Walter Benjamin and his book The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction. Although the lecture was interesting, I’ve already read the book, so it didn’t really expand upon anything that I already knew.
The artist talk on Tuesday was by Benji Jeffrey, who also happened to be one of the two people in charge of our crit on Friday, which went vaguely well. The one question that was asked of me during the crit which really intrigued me was ‘what time period do you see your work in?’ This is something that I’ve never really thought of before, but it definitely makes sense to consider; the fact that Sketchup is an old technology, as well as the Vaporwave soundtrack created for my film alongside the use of the Snapchat videos that never have any filters. It made sense and made me think about Jon Rafman’s video piece Neon Parallel 1996 where he is said to have been ‘attempting to create a Vaporwave video from the 90s’. He was definitely successful in his endeavour. It’s a question that I’m definitely still reflecting on. Back to the talk; I enjoyed some of his work, especially a recent piece where he used the controversial interview of Robert Downey Jr by Krishnan Guru-Murthy, mocking Downey’s hand and facial movements. Apart from that though, he mostly talked about art school and what to ‘get’ from it. I never really like it when artists do this as it isn’t really why I’m there; to hear about the work of the artist. The same thing has happened multiple times, and each time I don’t like it, surely they know we’re being told this all the time?
I did manage to go to a few exhibitions this week, one ‘actual’ one at the Seventeen gallery featuring Jimmy Merris. The high point of the show was encountering a pile of plastic skull heads attached to deformed bodies in the middle of the room. They were ‘activated’ by clapping your hands in their general direction, making them squirm and scream in agony on the floor. Alongside this were a range of the artists’ clothes covered with lacquer, making them rigid, like sculptural structures rather than clothes. I really liked the exhibition, as well as Seventeen gallery in general; it has such a range of great artists who exhibit there. The artists that they represent always seem to gain incredible popularity a few years after having an exhibition at their gallery space. Now they are ahead of the curve.
The other exhibitions that I went to were all student shows. The first one I went to was at the Safehouse space in Peckham. Surprisingly some people had actually used the space appropriately, working with it rather than secretly wanting it to be a white cube affair. The other show was at the Crypt gallery. This was a prime example of how not to use a space. It was huge for one thing, and had hardly been filled. The artworks were mostly paintings too, which didn’t really interest me.
Other than that I’ve watched a few films and started some new tv shows. One of my favourites from the week was The Ninth Configuration. A film centralised around an insane asylum and the new psychiatrist in charge of the establishment. It was really obscure and really great, slightly mind-fucked in places but in a good way. Another film I watched was the rebooted version of The Jungle Book. Compared to the original it wasn’t that great, but in its own right it was a solid film with some incredible CGI effects. I wasn’t a big fan of how they shoe horned in the original songs, as none of them were really sung, so there was no real need to have them there. Some great voice acting though. The final film – Louder than Bombs – was a very quiet experience, a considered experience, a nice experience. I think I liked it in a way.
In terms of tv, I started to watch Orphan Black, which is okay. It feels like a ‘soft-drama’, not gritty enough in terms of acting (rather than content) to be an actual drama, but not funny enough to be a comedy. It’s in an in between space. I’m not fully convinced but as light relief it’s been okay. Freaks and Geeks is another television venture of mine, full of bad acting and very childlike plot lines, but in a good way. I like it for what it is and see how it’s created a cult following around it.
For the week ahead I’m having more meetings with John, hopefully getting started on the actual making of the video games as time is slowly going to get the better of us. I also want to start on a few of my own projects, one being the musical video game that I mentioned last week, which I’ve been thinking more about this week. At the moment the plan is to take an incredibly ‘ugly’ song, for example Giovinezza (the official hymn of the Italian National Fascist Party) and break it up into its individual notes, allowing the viewer to create something beautiful from a terrible thing. I feel that it needs to have some connection to me as a person though, so maybe if I took apart a song from my childhood the piece would have more weight behind it? I think I need to dig into the ‘songs from my past’ or particular songs that I used to like but reflecting back are incredibly fascist or racist in some way. We shall see.
Another work that I’m currently considering uses the YouTube copyright system to discuss issues surrounding fair use and copyright laws, as well as how much power corporations have. The piece will be centred around a video work that is a compilation of music that is copyrighted by YouTube, allowing them to put adverts on your video or even take it down entirely. This assortment of music will be accompanied by a relevant film that either takes on these issues or is a blatant advertisement for the certain company. At the moment I’m considering The Internship alongside creating a compilation of videos of moments in films where a character is watching YouTube. In the film scenario, the video piece would go on for the entire length of The Internship, with a continuous soundtrack of copyrighted music. Alongside the video would be a screengrab of all the content ID claims that would pop up from said video.
Other than that I need to finally finish my essay, during this week I managed to get around 200-300 words written down, but now I need to finish it entirely by the 9h. Once again leaving it until now has obviously been a mistake, but a mistake that I can’t seem not to repeat every now and again…

Enjoi.

Instagram:

bob.bk1

No comments:

Post a Comment