Sunday 12 June 2016

Eye in the Sky, Abuse Standards Violations and Trevor Paglen

So, a week to go until I leave London. I’m slowly getting things together, preparing for the show next week whilst ticking various galleries off my list, ‘soaking up’ everything this place has to offer before I go. It’s been a relatively relaxed week, enjoying the sun whilst creating some new pieces.

The work that I’m going to show at the exhibition has slowly transformed over the week to something else. After visiting the venue on Wednesday and actually seeing the space for the first time without any work in it I realised that there was a lot more space than I had originally thought; with some walls usually being solely dedicated to the bar amongst other things. After exploring the various spaces, I decided to show three pieces. The caps are the first, which will be shown on a wall in two rows of six. The water video piece is another, which will be displayed on the floor under the stairs (I think) on a computer screen that’s sitting on a printed towel alongside some swimming goggles. The towel was printed this week with an image of virtual water being embedded upon it; combining the virtual with the real.
The last piece I’m going to show is a variation of the All My Messages project that I finished last week. In this new addition to the work I have printed all the messages onto a roller banner, something that’s usually used to promote a brand at conferences or trade fairs. Throughout the text, words that supposedly get you onto the NSA ‘watch list’ are highlighted in various colours. The display turns my messages into a commodity, something to be bought and traded, whilst the emphasized text continues to consider surveillance on the internet. I’m really happy with how the prints turned out, with the majority of the text being too small to actually read, yet again coming back to how the government has the ability to look at every single communication that I’ve sent to my friends, but doesn’t necessarily care about it, even though there is the odd mention of cannabis or bombs.
These works will be spread around the space as, even though they all share a vaguely same theme, they’re separate pieces of work. I’ve connected them in my artist statement, but very vaguely. This is my statement for the show:

Bob Bicknell-Knight / www.bobbicknell-knight.com / @bob.bk1
All My MessagesEverything Bad is Good for You12 Jobless Jurors
Throughout the space three separate works are featured with one underlying motive; to observe and critique the different uses of the internet. From all my Facebook messages printed onto a roller banner, with the words that are flagged by the NSA highlighted, to a video piece considering escapism within the online gaming community. You’re also invited to participate in one of the works by donning a twitter cap and taking a selfie with the hashtag #controversialcaps, becoming a member of the anonymous jury of the 21stcentury that continuously judges in a world dominated by PC culture, where arguments are limited to 140 characters.

I really do hope that at least one or two people take photographs with the caps and share them on the various social medias, as then I would actually be able to make a new work from it. I’m also going to sell the hats at the event, so hopefully that will occur too!
I’m also quite happy that this time around as all of my work is incredibly easy to carry, something that’s been in the back of my mind since the last show.
Another vague piece was also created this week in response to a film that I watched called Unfriended. The whole film takes place on a MacBook screen, and is also filmed in one take, both incredibly innovative ideas. Knowing this I decided to record myself watching the whole film on my laptop, which is the work. I’m not sure whether this should just be an idea or whether I should present it as an actual thing on my website. I should have probably continuously recorded my laptop screen too, with the film playing and me scrolling through Facebook, etc simultaneously. Maybe I’ll do it again over the summer, in a better setting where I actually move around a little more… The current film can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bw7hXy7UoE
I helped John a little more with the setup of his installation, which is looking quite impressive now actually. I’m thoroughly looking forward to the private view on Friday, seeing all the (hopefully) interesting work will be very exciting. Speaking of the private view, this week I agreed to help invigilate one of the works during the show as it involves a VR (virtual reality) device and the artist in question (Reka Ritt Laklia) needed people to subtly show people how to work it on the night. The actual piece is really interesting, keeping you in the same location that you’re actually in in real life with very subtle changes. Similar to Jon Rafman’s piece Junior Suite that he showed in Art Basel Miami, distorting the space that you’re already in rather than transporting you to somewhere entirely different. Obviously this begins to feel more like AR (Augmented Reality) but both are interesting things to explore.
Apart from making art I’ve been slightly drifting this week, going into uni occasionally for group meetings or simply to get out of my room and interact with real people. I had my feedback tutorial with Andrew which went vaguely okay. It’s always very loose and incredibly subtle, filled with lots of big words and metaphors which make it quite hard to actually understand what’s being said. It’s always helpful and thought provoking, but in a way that I don’t fully understand…
Oh and I did go to Brighton this week for a day, which was actually really nice. To simply escape London for a little bit is helpful at times, there’s just so much stuff happening on a regular basis it makes it so that when it comes to the end of term I’m overwhelmingly tired from all the work and the stress. Next year I’d like to leave London at least once a term during term time, although next year I won’t be in halls in an empty room by myself, so it’ll probably be a lot better at that point.
At some point in the week a few of us had a meeting with Andrew about the aid that we don’t get because of the nature of our digital work. We spent a few hours filling out a form, detailing what programs we all used as well as what we’d want from a ‘digital technician’ if that were ever to occur. Obviously this is probably all a pipe dream, but it was still nice to talk about the work with other ‘technology minded’ individuals.

I was lucky enough to make it to the Eva and Franco Mattes private view on Thursday for their exhibition Abuse Standards Violations. It’s a simply amazing show, with the front room being dedicated to their new series of video works considering internet moderators and the work that they do online to protect us from harmful content, displayed on and within IKEA desks. The back area focused on video works of paid people via the internet performing certain actions to the camera, displayed on tv screens that force you to become part of the performance yourself; contorting your body into various positions. It may be my favourite show of my first year, with the bonus being that I actually talked to both the artists, with one of them taking a photograph of my t-shirt that I actually made myself! It was definitely the high point of my week, maybe even my month.
I also managed to go to a bunch of galleries, cutting my list of things to see before I leave in half. As usual there was lots of good stuff and lots of bad stuff. Evelyn Yard was the first space that I visited, which had an exhibition by Laurence Owen on show which was full of paintings. Although the content of the work wasn’t that interesting to me, the way Owen chose to display the series was quite innovative; embedding the paintings within the floor of the gallery, submerging them under glass so that one is required to step onto the work to explore the space. Similar to Eva and Franco’s work in a way, turning you into a part of the work.
Edel Assanti was next with a show focusing on textile works, with the most interesting piece by an artist called Nevet Yitzhak. The video piece consisted of an animated woven carpet, slowly being bombed by various fighter jets and apache helicopters. The work was part of a series of video pieces titled War Carpets. Obviously, certain seminal works from Jeremey Deller and Mona Hatoum were also featured, but Yitzhak’s piece caught my eye the most.
TJ Boulting was showing photography works that looked at the body. I was particularly drawn to Mat Collishaw’s The Corporal Audit. A work that simulates a modern-day CAT scan, continually scanning a sculptural relief of ‘Veiled Christ’ by Giuseppe Sanmartino, connecting the old with the new in an incredibly impressive way.
Josh Lilley contained a bunch of heavy sculptural works by Kathleen Ryan. I particularly enjoyed a work simulating an oyster presenting a pearl, with the peal being a bowling ball. It was one of Josh Lilley’s better exhibitions.
Pilar Corrias had some kind of dull paintings whilst Pi Artworks contained a bunch of ‘paintings’ by Nejat Satı, created using transparent acrylic gel simulating cracked windows. These were quite beautiful and impressive to see in an incredibly simple, face value way.
Tiwani Contemporary was forgettable, whilst The Photographers Gallery was hosting the Deutsche Börse Photography Foundation Prize nominees. My favourite was obviously Trevor Paglen with his photographs of internet cables tapped by the NSA alongside his Autonomy Cube, a sculpture that provides a secure Wi-Fi connection, routing your phone or computer automatically through the Tor network. Paglen featured heavily in the essay that I wrote a month or so ago, and is a key figurehead in the art world, making work about internet surveillance, etc.
Bosco Sodi at Blain Southern was visually exciting but not that interesting to me, more impressive objects than anything else.
Nairy Baghramian’s show at Marian Goodman was extremely dull, huge sculptures of teeth displayed throughout the space. Frith Street however was showing work by Massimo Bartolini. Lots of very subtle and beautiful works, extremely considered to every small detail. A particular piece titled Dust Chaser was particularly lovely, a large wall work composed of tiny drawings of dust.
Felix Gonzalez-Torres at Hauser and Wirth was showing some exquisite works, a series of jigsaw puzzles contained within clear plastic wallets, somehow filling the huge gallery space. In form alone, they’re quite beautiful. Printing onto jigsaw puzzles is definitely something to look into in the future.
Louise Nevelson at PACE London was a little much for me, with every object she could get her hands on being transformed into black monochrome assemblages. I was slightly overwhelmed with how ‘samey’ it all was but that’s more the curators fault than Nevelson’s though.
Francis Alÿs at David Zwirner had a very surreal film on show featuring a football being kicked through the streets of Ciudad Juárez in Mexico. The major thing to note however is that the football is engulfed in flame for the entirety of the film. It made for a very interesting piece, pulled together by entering the space by walking through special fire proof plastic.
Ronchini was showing some huge photographs by Massimo Vitali which were incredibly impressive, things that you want in your house, but not really my kind of artwork to look at in a gallery setting.
The last space that I went to was the Masons Yard White Cube. I’m a big fan of Dóra Maurer’s early work with folds among other things, but the new wall based works that were on display weren’t interesting at all. Large blocks of colour that I didn’t really look twice at.
Apart from going to various exhibitions, I’ve continued to watch films whilst furthering my obsession with That ‘70s Show. The first film was In Your Eyes, looking at two separate people who share a connection that allows them to see through each other’s eyes as well as experiencing their other senses. In the beginning it was quite interesting, but the story slowly spiralled out of control, ending with police chases and a future that looked fairly bleak for the two main characters.
Comet was another ‘sci-fi romance’, centred around the beginning of a couple’s relationship, the story jumps back and forth from two days to ten years in the future. Instead of this being a simple way of showing the couples friendship growing over the years, within the film the characters are experiencing these time changes too, continuously returning back to their first meeting over the course of the film. It was an interesting spin on how rom-coms usually use this narrative device, but apart from that nothing else was really gained.
Omega Man was a weird one; Charlton Heston once again in an apocalyptic future. I think I prefer the other 70s sci-fi that he’s in, for me this one was a little too obvious, but that may be because of how the idea of a virus turning everyone into mutants has been over-used a lot in the past 45 or so years.
Trainwreck was, albeit incredibly obvious, vaguely enjoyable. That may be because of not having seen Amy Schumer before in a starring role… It passed the time at least. I’ve already mentioned Unfriended which was quite impressive, and not too much of a ‘let’s make a loud noise after a long silence’ type of thriller which is definitely a positive.
Eddie The Eagle was definitely a ‘feel good’ film, detailing the exploits of Eddie Edwards’ rise to the 1988 Winter Olympics. It was actually really nice and fun; nothing more, nothing less.
The final two films of the week are slightly linked together with their subject matter. The first was Eye in the Sky, a film that centres on drones used in warfare. It holds lots of interesting ideas, and manages to keep the tension high even when all the ‘action’ is occurring in board rooms and over the phone; the politics of it all. Ultimately it comes down to the question of whether or not the military has the go ahead on a particular target that’s close to where a young girl is selling bread. This is something that I’m particularly interested in, with my own piece Rules of Engagement considering the politics of all of this within real life and video games. The film was good, but I feel like in reality they would have gone ahead with the drone strike after learning that a number of high priority ‘targets’ were in this particular house, rather than waiting for one person to sell their bread. Although for a Hollywood film to function one must have some sort of moral quandary as it wouldn’t be deemed ‘sellable’ without it, as well as the fact that there would be no film without this centrepiece drama. Maybe I’m just incredibly unfeeling?
The last film was called Cell and is yet to be released. In it, for some reason or another, when someone uses a mobile phone to make a call it turns the individual into a crazed axe wielding maniac. This event occurs and then we follow one man’s journey to find his son. It was annoyingly dull, with basil exposition occurring every 20 minutes or so and a cast of unmemorable characters, alongside a crap ending. It was unfortunate as the premise sounded at least partially interesting.
Oh and I’ve finally begun to get submissions to isthisit? after signing up to various art opportunity websites. I’ve also set up a Facebook page for it too, where you can keep up to date with the weekly exhibitions among other things: https://www.facebook.com/isthisitisthisit/
This week the site is showing work by Joas Nebe and Saskia Martindale and you can check it out here: http://isthis.wix.com/isthisit
I think that’s my week pretty much. This last week of being in London is rather busy, with an essay feedback crit tomorrow, the show on Wednesday and the BA private view on Friday. I’m really looking forward to it all, sneaking in as much art as I can in between the various scheduled activities. This time next week I’ll hopefully be posting from Suffolk, sitting down, unpacking all my stuff whilst drinking a cold beer. I look forward to life slowing down slightly, if only for a few months.

Enjoi.
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment