Sunday 25 September 2016

Easy, ABZÛ and Virginia

Okay, so I’ve been back in London for a little over a week now, and have been visiting various galleries, exploring the city that I’ve been away from for the past 3/4 months, as well as assimilating to the new area that I’m living in; New Cross. Lots of students, lots of stuff happening. I’m still trying to figure out whether I like the area or not, as it feels a lot like a bubble, and if you were to get too immersed in this bubble you could become complacent, especially as I’m living in a house of seven all of whom are my friends. This probably means that I’ll want to go to uni every day of the week again, to make sure that I actually get any work done. Although I am writing this from the house right now, so who knows what will happen in the future...

Before moving back, I attempted to make the most out of the countryside, going on walks, sitting on the beach or seeing people that I’m now not going to see for a few months. It’s a lovely place, and will continue to be so, I just think I stayed a little too long, getting too into lounging around and just watching rather than doing. Not to say my summer was wasted, I just think I would have appreciated being in that space more if I’d have come back to London a few times, taking a break from the country for a bit. I think that’s what I’ll be doing from now on, maybe.

In art based news, I was finally officially told that we have to show a piece of work when we get back to uni, so I decided to create an installation for Who Needs Teachers When You've Got A Computer-Aided Education? Which is arguably my most recent piece of work, and one that I’m quite happy with. I’ve bought various ‘emoji pillows’, circular pillows with various emotions being portrayed on them. These will serve to prop up the tv which will be showing the video, as well as serving as seats for people to sit on whilst watching the film. As the essay used in the work is discussing the breakdown of language and how the internet will basically become a melting pot for unneeded information, I felt it apt to use emoji’s, which basically make traditional language obsolete, taking us back to a time when human beings simply used their own fascial movements to speak to others. The fact that they’re pillows communicates how the use of emoji isn’t being forced onto people, they’re willingly using them, slowly sinking into an emoji ‘enhanced’ language. I’m looking forward to talking about the work when it’s displayed, as well hearing what others think of it.
I’ve also gotten into a few more things, two of which are magazine based, which is kind of fun. The first is Average Art’s October issue titled ‘Artists Behind the Art’. I’m having some screengrabs of my videos in the issue, alongside a picture of me, which is in fact a stock photograph of a smiling white man. Follow the link here, where you can buy the issue when it comes out on the 1st of October, or even pre-order: http://averageart.co.uk/magazine.html

The other magazine, ‘Mile #1’, is run by NOMAD 92-3. I also had to submit an ‘artist portrait’, so once again I submitted the smiling white man. Oh and I may be being interviewed for this magazine, which would be fun to do again, learning more about my practice, etc. Follow this link to their page, I’m not sure when the magazine will be available to look at/buy though: http://www.nomad92-3.com/

Another thing I got into was an exhibition in Croatia with my video work, Is the Internet úäCì@?ù.1HcpiÙîfê¿Dead: Revisited, which I made for 30/30 earlier in the year. The show was in the Siva Galerija last week. Unfortunately, it’s over now, but hopefully some people saw my work and enjoyed it. Follow the link here: http://fubar.space/

Oh and my interview for TRAVELOGUE was published online a little while ago, which you can read here: http://travelogue.space/blog/2016/9/12/bob-bicknell-knight-every-day-we-replicate-the-idea-of-what-life-should-be-like I really enjoyed the process of answering the questions and considering what my practice is all about, and hope to do more interviews in the future. I’m really happy to have been chosen for the show and it definitely validates what I’ve been saying to my peers about the value of having a digital presence, as I was contacted to do the show because of my website and blog. A few photos came back from the exhibition, which can be seen below.

No new work has been generated, although I have been thinking a lot about the aux cable project, which will definitely become a thing when I get back to uni. I’m still deciding on what will be being shown on the various screens; a video, different videos, or maybe the different devices are all on facetime to each other? I need to refine this a little more.

In other news, isthisit? has been going really well, and is something that I’m beginning to get quite proud of as it continues to grow. The more that people submit the longer it can continue on for. I definitely want to do another curatorial thing soon, something interesting and vaguely innovative, something new. Currently in this house we have a spare room, so maybe that could be utilised in some way, creating a tiny exhibition space? I don’t know, could be fun as a small thing.

Last week’s show, exhibition #21, was all about the deconstruction of information, with each of the three different works analysing data in various ways. Katie Tindle’s ‘Workbook 8’ explores the artist’s desktop and a constantly evolving Excel spreadsheet, with a range of personal data being added as the video piece continues on. It all feels very open and free, taking into consideration ideas about personal space in the age of the internet, which feeds well into Sarah Crew’s video piece ‘Reclaimed Lands’, which she describes as an “engaging, poignant and at times humorous alternative in-flight film”. Over the course of the four-minute escapade, the various narrators explore the notion of lostness, questioning whether someone can truly be lost in the 21st century internet machine. Will Hurt’s generative animation ‘Automated Spatial Transformations (House VI)’ ties everything together, with 3D models of buildings endlessly reconfiguring themselves in an information overload.
In this week’s show I decided to play around with the layout a little. For exhibition #22, two pieces were shown, each harnessing works and styles from famous artists. Ana Pastor’s video piece ‘"My one regret in life is that I am not someone else" Woody Allen’ takes a humorous look at the pressure that one has in the art world to achieve a utopian idea of success. Utilising found footage, the artist superimposes a giant smiling face onto various characters from the art world, from Ai Weiwei to Marina Abramović, becoming the artists in question whilst simultaneously anonymising them, placing them behind the unblinking, constantly smiling, papier-mâché head. The clips that are used span a number of years, and are accompanied by ‘Why Can’t I be You?’ by The Cure, a song originally released in 1987, so it’s unsurprising that the work feels slightly dated, which functions well in conjunction with Jack Ratcliffe’s ‘Mondriane’, an online clock that utilises the colours and shapes of Piet Mondrian’s various ‘Composition’ paintings. Whilst Ratcliffe brings new ideas to Mondrian’s old paintings, Pastor brings old ideas to new video sources, all made available via the internet. Both works functioning as the opposite of each other.
Other things that have happened this week? Lots of galleries. Although I didn’t completely fall in love with anything that I saw, I did like a few things

Let’s start with Carroll Fletcher, which wasn’t disappointing, just not what I expected from the place. The top floor, showing work from Basel Abbas and Ruanne Abou-Rahme, was mostly centred around showing information, or false information, of what’s going to happen in the future, being informed by the non-fictions of the past. Lots of stuff laid out on tables and pinned on cork boards. It’s an interesting aesthetic, cut out screenshots of computer windows, taking the virtual into the physical, making the fictions that have been created offline realities. It was just a little unexpected. The main multi-channel video was of a group of people, walking through forests and ruins, discovering these black masks that hold some sort of symbolism. I did like it, it was just a bit impenetrable at times, and that’s never really a good thing.
Downstairs however, was a very clever, simple set of video works by the collaborative duo John Wood and Paul Harrison. The assortment of videos shows the pair enacting a series of bizarre experiments, using objects specifically catered to their own bodies to take part in very simple actions. They’re incredibly clinical, insightful works which have a slight design quality to them, which is interesting within itself. It’s definitely worth a visit, or a google, to experience the absurdity for yourself. Very clever work.
Vilma Gold had some work by Brian Griffiths on show, continuing his obsession with Bill Murray and his various selves, one of his houses was on show, as well as various large scale prints. I found the whole thing to be mystifying and intriguing, a combination that’s very familiar to one another. I like Vilma Gold, the ambiguity of its press releases and the very weird shows that occur within. It’s a cool place.
Let’s get some shit ones over with. At Blain Southern there were some cotton works being displayed, wall based pieces that will undoubtedly be hanging in someone’s house in a few months’ time, but entirely forgotten by me. Pretty colours but nothing more.
This was the same for the Carl Freedman Gallery, very bright and colourful aluminium wall based pieces, ‘full of emotion’, but in reality, who gives a fuck about a guy and his axe?
Erik Lindman at the Almine Rech Gallery was equally dull, metal embedded within wood, welcome back to the 70s. How is this guy a mere 11 years older than me, and making this kind of shit work?
Massimo De Carlo had a few interesting pieces from Sanford Biggers. A particular favourite was a three channel video work, showing a sculpture that’s yet to be cast being shot at, in incredible slow motion, the wax flying everywhere alongside the satisfying sound of the gunshot. The particularly ‘nice’ part of this installation was that, every time a sculpture was shot at, the television would quickly go from black (as if it were turned off) to the slow motion video. This created a beautiful audio visual experience as you stood in the middle of these three films, each ‘popping off’ as more bullets were shot at the work. The classic ‘revelatory’ moment was also there, with the sculptures being shown outside of the room, before you entered the ‘gun range’.
Campoli Presti had some very sexual, very bodily inspired works by Julia Philips. It’s always nice to see ceramics being utilised well, rather than simply making a pot. The work on show seemed to be a range of tools, created by the artist using her own body, contorting it and moulding the clay around it. Very subtle, very carefully created work, that I appreciated and understood.
The mini Sadie Coles space had some boring paintings by David Korty on show, which were just boring and unimaginative.
The larger Sadie Coles space however had a very complicated, very in depth exhibition by Uri Aran. Filling the space with black desks, Aran forced the viewer to have a solo experience with each film, which always featured two men, enacting various scenarios, all of which seemed both rehearsed and completely unnatural. They’re very weird and ambiguous films, with a lot packed in. If you have some time, I’d employ you to go and check it out at some point.
Frith Street Gallery had some nice work by Tacita Dean, the classic David Hockney film was on show, as well as some pictures of clouds? It also featured a long form video of a man parading around a theatre stage, playing an actor playing an actor, which is always fun to see. A lot of work I’d already seen and was aware of, lots of old ideas, but interesting ones, ones that I enjoy examining from time to time.
Marian Goodman on the other hand had some work by Guiseppe Penone, the famous artist who once cast his own hand and left it attached to a tree, and as the years continued on the tree grow around his hand. Penone seems to have had this idea back in the 70s and never actually moved on, continuing to milk this original idea until it’s become increasingly boring for everyone. The show was comprised of lots of casts of trees, with hands protruding from them. Wow. I am not impressed.
Rachel Rose had a very sweet animation at Pilar Corrias. I’ve been a big fan of Rose ever since seeing her at the Serpentine Gallery last year. The distorted and beautiful video piece is definitely something to see, with each frame made up of 19th – 20th century children’s book illustrations, it’s quite a feat to observe.
Arcade gallery was okay, with some works inspired by Chinese puzzles. Very illustrative and obvious.
IMT gallery had some very simple, sculptural works embedded with meaning. The really interesting thing that did catch my eye however were the cats that inhabited the gallery. These cats, that weren’t part of the show, were Sphynx cats, which are basically hairless and look like huge rat like creatures. I’ve never seen one in real life, and that in itself was an exciting experience. Head on over to IMT if you ever feel a need to see a cat with no hair.
Transition gallery had a very small, very fragile show, made up of photographs and very simplistic watercolour drawings. It was a very lovely, very considerate space.
Samson Kambalu’s show at Kate Macgarry was a little too dense, with no real way to understand the work apart from reading a lot of the books on display. As one friend put it ‘it’s the kind of work that you have to read about to get’, which sums up the whole experience for me.
George Henry Longly at Studio Leigh had created a very simple, design based exhibition which worked quite well. All the assemblages fitted well together, crafting a relationship of sorts. Is there any more I have to say? It’s nice, solid work.
Laura Bartlett Gallery had a range of ‘mixed media’ paintings on show, heavily inspired by European countries, filled with colour and mosaic esque expressionism. Not really my kind of thing, but still quite nice too look at or have in your house.
Victoria Miro had a group exhibition of works, most of which weren’t that interesting, as well as containing a bunch of work that was a little too obvious. What do you expect with an exhibition called Protest? It was okay, some big names but nothing outstanding.
Ivana Basic at Annka Kultys Gallery was fine, some visually enticing work with an obvious meaning; big glass droplets visualising the artists’ breath, etc. Very tight work, very obvious work, but kind of nice. I always enjoy the curation that occurs within that small space.
The final gallery of the week was The Ryder, which was showing a video piece by Jeremy Hutchinson titled Monster. A very simple film considering the post-work condition that’s slowly taking over the various physical industries. As always, The Ryder showing some very good work.
I think that’s everything, lots of crap and a few good things, all contributing to my week back in London.

Other than galleries, I’ve been playing some incredibly beautiful games, some of the best games I’ve played in a while. I’ll start by talking about ABZÛ, a wonderful game with incredible visuals, where you as a diver swim through various levels, exploring the sea. Simply experiencing the feeling of swimming under the sea, riding fish and leaping out of the water to do a flip or two is breath-taking. For the majority of the experience I was just admiring the visuals as well as how the game was making me feel through the gameplay; elated and excited. I’d heavily recommend anyone to play this game, as it literally ‘took my breath away’ at multiple points throughout the journey.
Another experience that was primarily based on exploring and looking was Adr1ft. A game that features the player as an astronaut attempting to get home, exploring a huge space station devoid of life. Once again the feeling of floating above earth and being able to spin around in circles, was incredible and made me feel amazing. After the first ten – twenty minutes however, the actual ‘meat’ of the experience became kind of dull, which was a shame. Once again, if you have a chance, play this game, simply for how it makes you feel.
Another game was Push Me Pull You, a crazed 2D multiplayer game that involves keeping a ball on your side of an arena. You operate your 'player' by maneuvering the thumb sticks, one stick for the front and the other for the back. Incredibly enjoyable, quick and fun, and very hard to play when drunk.
The last game on the list was Virginia, a game that is the most ‘filmy’ game I’ve ever experienced, and one that has the most mind fuck of an ending ever. It was quite mental. The gameplay is literally clicking X and exploring various rooms, but the David Lynch esque plot alongside the fact that there’s literally no talking throughout the 90-minute experience is incredibly interesting, and made me buy into the very bizarre happenings within the world of Virginia. All three of these interactive fictions are a must for anyone interested in video games, or simply anyone interested in expanding their mind with new things.
Now onto films, as I’ve been settling in to the new place, there’s been a distinct lack of film watching, which is always a shame. I think I’ve only had the chance to enjoy a measly five filmic experiences.

Crimes and Misdemeanours was very funny, and a very ‘who didn’t see that happening’ kind of thing. Once again classic Woody Allen.
Another one from Woody, Hannah and Her Sisters, was once again, classic Woody Allen. I think I’ve watched too much of his work now to actually properly talk about them, as they’re all very similar.
I did watch a film from the Harry Potter series, The Goblet of Fire. It was interesting to revisit something from my childhood. It felt very PG, and overly long, I don’t think I want to watch anymore of the franchise, as I think it would ruin my utopian ideals about the series that I’ve carried over from childhood to adulthood.
Another film that was ‘a blast from the past’ was Natural Born Killers. After watching it many years ago, it was weird to watch again, especially as it’s so fucking dull. Is it supposed to be funny? It probably is, I just didn’t enjoy the type of humour which was occurring on screen.
The final film was Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which was a lovely Australian film centred on a young boy who gets adopted and then subsequently gets chased through the wilderness on a police man hunt. It’s a very touching, very nice journey that takes you to lots of unexpected places. It’s also very funny, and very much worth your time.
I’ve also been indulging in some tv. I’m currently watched Modern Family, which is obviously great. Watching these kids grow up is a pleasure, and the whole ordeal is very funny, with some very nice plot points. The kind of show that you could pick up and just watch random episodes of, but to really know and understand the characters you should watch the whole thing.
Another very good tv show that I watched was Easy, a new Netflix comedy drama, where each episode focuses on one or two people, living in Chicago, just living. Very real conversations between various couples living vastly different lives. I really enjoyed it, with definite parallels to High Maintenance and Master of None. Just some very good, honest, television.
I think that’s my two weeks of stuff? Slowly moving forwards with art, alongside watching the occasional film and playing some beautiful games. I hope this trend continues. This coming week will feature more lounging around and getting used to the area, alongside more art, and hopefully some art making. We’ll see how it goes.

Enjoi.

Instagram:
bob.bk1

No comments:

Post a Comment