Sunday 8 October 2017

Frieze, isthisit? issue 3, London considerations

Only a two week gap this time, hopefully this blog will return to ‘normal programming’ in the next few weeks. The other night I looked back a little, back at the last few years of my ‘art life’ as documented in this blog. It was a very weird experience, definitely a motivator to keep writing this thing, keep documenting, so in a few years’ time I can look back and see how much of a wanker I’m currently being, drunkenly revisiting those mind sets, thinking about wasted time and wasted opportunities… Anyway, past few weeks I’ve been working a little on my dissertation, although I’m a lot less stressed about the whole thing. I don’t want it to take over my work or my life, which are pretty much one and the same at the moment, so I think I’ll always end up concentrating on other things first, perhaps. I’ve also been working on the next issue of the mag as well as an exhibition I’ll be curating at Gossamer Fog in conjunction with the launch. I exhibited a new version of the Pepe the Redeemer work for an exhibition/crit at uni and I went to both Frieze fairs. It’s been fun, although I think I need to balance isthisit?/my own work a little better. Over the summer I let the platform slightly dominate my life, so I think it’s time to take back my own work, think about where I want to be in a years’ time, all that shit…

Let’s begin with the magazine, which currently has over 60 contributors in it, probably too many really, although the more people in it, the more likely they are to sell, and I’ve upped the amount of physical copies from 20 last time to 50 this time. Making more ‘profit’ than last time as well as hopefully actually having copies to sell at the launch event too. The following image is the announcement image of all the artists that are involved currently, I’m literally adding more artists daily at this point, hopefully getting more essays from people as well as more interviews. Pre-orders are now open for the magazine too, priced at 9.99 (excluding postage, UK only) and 99p for the PDF copy. I think next time I’ll probably just release the PDF copy for free, as very few people actually buy them and I’d like more people to actually be able to read the magazine… Link is here - www.isthisitisthisit.com/issue-03
I’m currently conducting a really interesting, incredibly long, interview with Jakob about video games and his practice, but want to talk to someone else too. I kind of forgot how fun it was to interview someone, how much you actually get invested into their practice.
After looking around the current Gossamer Fog show, which I then wrote very briefly about in the previous blog post, the guy who runs the gallery emailed me submitting to the magazine as well as offering the space as a potential launch event venue. Obviously I said yes as I love the space and the actual submission was great. I’m currently choosing artists from the magazine to be in the show, which will hopefully be a lot more succinct and fleshed out than The Muse exhibition, which was full of artists outside of the magazine and was a little overstuffed. At the moment I’m looking for more artists that make sculptural work about video games, it seems like very few of them do, and even fewer are based in the UK! Anyway, that’ll be happening in early December, probably on the 8th or so.
What else? I showed a modified version of the Pepe piece, although without the pepe USB as I hadn’t gotten it back from Berlin yet, so I don’t think it was called that when it was shown. It featured the same two videos, although now with a third video and shown sideways, with each of the videos having their own space to actually be seen. The third video was of a man reloading his virtual gun in a VR game, where you have to nearly literally re-load the gun with your virtualised hands, doing the motions, etc. This was accompanied by the two previous videos, one being the future drone machine, the other the gallery protest. I think I liked it better like this, although I want to move away from this work a little, maybe make something more cohesive and sculptural? I don’t know, but I need to think about it. I love making my own work and I feel like I haven’t fully immersed myself in that for months, literally.
I’ve been asked by dateagleart, an online platform for art, to curate 6 months of artwork, 6 artworks from 6 artists, for a project of theirs called ‘Spread the Virus’, basically making people more aware of ‘digital’ artworks and artists. However, it does involve asking artists to make work with no monetary compensation, which for me is tricky. I’ve never really in the past asked artists to do this, they either do it without me actually asking, which is great, or I use previously made works, which is the norm. I’m still going to do it, although it does make me feel slightly uncomfortable I guess. More on that later, the curating begins in March, so I have quite a while to select and contact some artists to make a new ‘digital’ artwork.

I talked a little about YAC and the interview that I’ve been having over the past few months. It’s now online to read. I talk about my practice and Pepe, young artist led collectives, nepotism, funding and a bunch of other things. It was really fun to have that conversation and you can read it here - http://youngartistsinconversation.co.uk/Bob-Bicknell-Knight
Hmm that could be it for me and my own stuff, maybe. I keep thinking, worrying, about the future. What I’m going to do when university ends, where I’m going to go. I had a really interesting discussion the other night when I went to drop off a piece for an upcoming group show, extending long into the night, discussing money and how I can begin to make it from this process. Funding is obviously an option, but that wouldn’t be sustainable for living and definitely not in London. I’ve also been thinking about the possibility of moving out of London, to a smaller city where things are cheaper, where things are slower, enabling me to set up my own gallery, to start attempting to sell the work I exhibit. Do I even want to do that though? I’m not totally sure. I guess I need to work out what I want from my life at the moment, where I want to take it, although right now I’m a little tired and want to enjoy something.

Now, onto galleries and Frieze! Let’s begin with Stine Deja at Annka Kultys Gallery. The show imagines this ideological living room space, full of falsities and non-realities, from the IKEA flowers to the idyllic birds chirping as background music. It was fun, but a little busy, lots of work for a small space which felt a little crammed in. If there had been half the works it would have worked, or simply some re-positioning, although that’s only my opinion!
Vitrine was okay, two new things, a commission from Charlie Godet Thomas (who I’m media partnered with) and a Wil Murray exhibition. The Murray show was super dull, just layers of printed on board, kind of grassy images, trapped between the glass. I didn’t really get it, nor did I have the energy to attempt to. I’ve said it before, if something doesn’t attract me to a work I’m not going to be motivated to actually want to learn more about it. Why would I?
Charlie’s work was basically a weather vane that spins with the wind. It was fun, although I think I ultimately preferred the last commission more, a fallen figure carrying the earth. I do like his previous work though, just this is less fun, a little too simply perhaps? I’m not being very helpful I’m sure.
Lisson Gallery had three shows on. One was featuring Allora & Calzadilla, an exhibition that apparently ‘continues the artists’ ongoing investigation into the politics of language in public speech’. Who writes this stuff, it’s just fucking boring, no ones going to read it. I dunno, the work was ‘nice’ but, I dunno. Maybe I’m just tired from the week writing this post, but like, I dunno… Didn’t grab me, a you can probably tell.
The other space had a show by Daniel Buren, the kind of work I used to love in earlier years, but now… Nice mirrors I guess?
Upstairs there was a micro show featuring a number of artists that they represent, the favourite for me being an incredibly short video called The Hunt by Christian Jankowski. This involves (I assume) the artist, walking around a supermarket with a bow and arrow, standing incredibly close to various food items and shooting them, then picking them up and putting them in his trolley. The food was then purchased with the arrows harpooned in them. I loved it, hilarious and easy.
I went to the Seth Price opening at the ICA, but only went around incredibly quickly, as I had a number of PVs to attend that evening. I basically need to go back, so much video work. You really should balance that out in some way with physical works, too many videos can be suffocating. The space is cool though, they’ve changed the shop a little, and knocked down a few walls.
For art licks last weekend I went to a number of things, one of which was a friend of mines (Campbell McConnel) thing called Word in Transit, which is basically a bunch of performances on a tube, with each performance lasting for the duration of a stop. It’s a really nice idea, was executed fairly well and I’d highly recommend going to it again if there’s another event. Very fun.
PI Artworks was fun, although my main takeaway from the show was the use of flowers that were growing over the duration of the show in the gallery. I love when things are growing or changing, making you want to come back. Apart from that *shrugs*.
Juliana Cerqueira Leite at TJ Boulting was okay, some weird sculptures of plaster hands attached to very not nice looking wooden plinth like things, but then in the back there were prints from YouTube videos, layered up to create a blur, which was kind of fun?
I went to the opening for the new show at the Zabludowicz, which is always packed, or at least it feels packed due to not being allowed to drink their massive amounts of free alcohol inside the actual show. How’s that boycott going? (not that I don’t think selling guns to terrorists isn’t bad I just think a boycott isn’t the best way of handling the situation). Anyway, the main show was featuring a big body of work from Haroon Mirza, which I was actually excited about. It ended up being a lot of ‘glitch art’, an aesthetic I hate, alongside some really great looking sound installations. The ambiguous visuals and use of overused imagery was just a bit much for me though, a bit too in your face and a little less actually giving me something to chew on I guess. There was one room I wasn’t able to go into though, a chamber of sorts, which looked very interesting, so I’m definitely going to have to go back. How annoying.
In the invites section Rebecca Ackroyd had a show, I’m not sure I’m really into her art that much. It’s very personal, which I’m totally up for, but the simple set up (carpeted floor, a grate and covered windows) didn’t really do anything for me. I’m obviously really worn whilst writing this. Who am I doing it for?
Katharina Grosse at South London Gallery was very boring, she’s known for making huge colour/paint installations in various outside locations. Reducing this to inside a normal gallery space made it seem kind of boring and institutionalised I guess. Not for me.
Edel Assanti had an amazing show on by Marcin Dudek. He had transformed the space into a stadium of sorts, going through a turnstile like contraption when you walked in, then encountering various clothes that seem to be frozen made from plaster in an attempt to capture these moments of anxiety and excitement. The whole space was painted orange. I liked it, recommended.
Josh Lilley, as always, was boring. Paintings. Also, the beer they were serving was very weird. I did not like it, a weighty drink.
Modern Art on the other hand provided some great beer; Hells, alongside an amazing show from Josh Kline in their new space. I’m a big fan of his previous video works, in this show there were a bunch of concrete sculptures with tech embedded within them, from sofas to toy trucks, alongside various devices chopped in half and tapped back together. The different devices were paired together, for example, a mac with a pc, or a higher quality version of one thing attached to a lower quality of another. These were fun, but very odd and not that ‘lovely’. More funny than aesthetically pleasing.
Yuri Pattison at Mother Tank Station was fun, although a lot of his work involves various live streams of things, so to ‘get’ takes a very short amount of time. I prefer his previous work which actually had a structure, more solid things that I could watch and interact with I guess. The business like chair though was great, which you watched these live streams on, alongside all the work really. I am a fan.
TJ Wilcox at Sadie Coles didn’t grab me at all. When watching multiple docs you need to be grabbed.
A new gallery, GAO (Gallery in Active Operation) had a beautiful stone carved sculpture from Felix Bahret. Very crispy and reflective. I’d quite like it in the middle of my large house, if I had a large house.
Jake and Dinos Chapman at Blain Southern was fun; bronze bomb vests. Do I need to say more?
Maddox Arts has a boring, overpacked show going on from Nicolas Schoffer.
Sophia Contemporary, a gallery I was literally just walking past, had a really great show called Im/material: Painting in the Digital Age. Lota of interesting paintings questioning what painting means. Using computers to paint, computer paintings, etc, etc. It was some solid work, recommended if you’re in the fancy part of town.
Pre-Sliced Orange Segments , curated by Sid and Jim (one of which is my brother) at Light Eye Mind was fun, lots of work about sports and activities, presented in a make shift locker room with a bench running around the incredibly small gallery space. It was definitely slightly overpacked, more so as it was the PV, but it was a tight show, you could see the links, the intersections, the thought.
Finally, let’s talk about Frieze. I went to both. Frieze Masters, the first time I’ve been, was truly extortionate and way more fancy than normal Frieze. The booths were incredible, fake wooden floors, serious lighting and the most amazing selection of chairs for potential buyers to sit down at. I felt very overwhelmed walking around and didn’t see anything I liked, unsurprisingly.
Frieze London on the other hand, this was kind of fun, even though I went through the whole space in about 2 hours. Some highlights: Anna Uddenberg sculpture was amazing, like a fluffy chair which you definitely weren’t allowed to sit on. It was at Kraupa-Tuskany Zeidler and was £35,000. It does look very nice.
Hannah Black at Arcadia Missa was very cool, a very slick animation of a panopticon museum with a few benched sculptures. I wanted to sit down, but it turned out the benches were the art…
Anna Hulacova at Hunt Kastner was pretty great, a blue and white installation with foam coming out of one of the sculptures, that was definitely very visually enticing. There was probably more that I liked, but, you should really follow isthisit? on Instagram if you want to follow every detail. Whenever I go to a gallery I document it on there, rating it with emojis. So go to is_this_it_is_this_it and follow to check for those gallery days/PV evenings.
I also went to an amazing panel there today featuring Ed Fornieles, Constant Dullart and Angela Nagle (she wrote Kill All Normies, an amazing book I read over the summer). It was basically talking a lot about what my current work is about, the alt-right, culture wars, 4chan, the internet being a space of non-discussion. I loved it. You should have definitely gone, and if not, read Nagle’s book as it’s incredible.
I think/hope that’s it for art over the past few weeks? Maybe I missed one of two shows out, who knows. This whole art thing is getting a little overwhelming.

I realise also I didn’t talk about everything I’d watched over the summer in the last blog post, a lot of which has probably been lost, only to be discovered again when a friend brings up a film that I slightly recognise but only remember I watched when I look at a trailer or accompanying image. Anyway, I’ve watched a bunch of stuff obviously, so in no particular order, and definitely no where near everything I’ve seen:

Big Mouth, Rick and Morty season 3 (obviously, it’s amazing), The Hitman’s Bodyguard, The Emoji Movie, The Orville, The Good Place, Okja, The Big Sick, Baywatch, Neo Yokeo, American Vandal (so fucking hilarious, I can’t recommend it enough), Naked, Spider-Man Homecoming, IT, Wind River, Captain Underpants, Despicable Me 3, Baby Driver, The Boss Baby, Bojack Horseman season 4 (amazing, obviously), new Twin Peaks, Master of None season 2, Glow, Star Trek: Discovery, Wonder Woman, and literally like, probably at least 5 times this list, probably a lot more. All lost to the ether basically. Fuck.
So, unsure if there’s anything else, or should be anything else, at this point. Oh and new studios are great, high ceilings, great space, I’m looking forward to working. Week ahead is dissertation stuff with new tutors, starting on some new work, continuing to email people about the magazine, starting to put that fucker together, seeing more shows, etc, etc. All the boring/exciting shit. Maybe getting out of London would do me good? Also, new policy with these blogs, no re-reading it through. This is a record for me, not for anyone else, it’s been decided.

No comments:

Post a Comment