Monday 22 January 2018

Ilona Sagar, What Remains of Edith Finch, A Conversation and Martin Kohout

Another week has gone by, moving steadily closer to something worth talking about. My dissertation is now finished and printed, new work is being generated and a few ideas relating to isthisit? are slowly being finalised and thought about. Oh and I also had some time to play a new videogame and watch a film or two. How very exciting, let’s begin.

Let’s start with new work, or old work manifested. I ordered a few of the products that would finalise one of the Royalty Free artworks; the jigsaw puzzle utilising a blockchain stock photo alongside the acrylic case. They both arrived, I screwed it to the wall and it looks good. Kind of what I imagined, so potentially a waste of money or perhaps it had to be real. At least now I can submit the piece to things.
My dissertation as published book arrived, which I’m very happy about. I’m hoping that this, instead of the badly made book on Litecoin that was a part of the installation from last year, can go alongside the installation when it’s shown again. As it’s actually only 6000 words or so, taking about 10-20 minutes to read, it shouldn’t be too bad.
I’m still thinking about how to turn this text into a video piece. I originally would have liked to make an incredibly well shot and edited video, watching a person go about their day, doing different activities, whilst occasionally talking to the AI in their phone. This is still something I’m interested in, although I was thinking how it wasn’t really me that kind of work. I do found footage, I do a voice coming from the background. So I think I may begin bringing together a bunch of content, whilst refining the script for actual text and eventually sending it off for someone to read. Then eventually thinking about install and everything else. This outcome seems a lot more likely, and a lot more me. Let’s see what happens during the week I guess.

Next up, my interview with Marilyn was finally published for her online project VIDEOHOOKUPS, it’s a fair few months old now, originally chatting in September or so of last year, but it’s up here if you’d like to take a read - videohook-ups.com/2018/01/15/interview-with-bob-bicknell-knight/
Another week, another fake painting. I do like these, and after going on so many studio visits you slowly realise that the majority of artists do have a solid body of work that they work on, the stereotype being that painters are increasingly prolific. Anyway, perhaps this will become a series of prints, false images, false studios. Maybe I should push the hyperreality of the works, making it less realistic and moving to the sickly smooth animated versions of a studio? I’m thinking about Jemma Egan’s supposed ‘studio’ that is very much not her studio, that kind of uber-nuss perhaps.
I also began to think about a new piece, although very much in line with my current art making. That is, vinyl on MDF, which is pretty great. In this new work it’s a layer of MDF, vinyl attached on top, then a layer of clear acrylic, then this is screwed into, bolted together by big bolts and lay onto a computer wheelie stand, alongside a USB attachment. This becomes a bug of some sort on the floor, around A4 in size and a few cms of the floor. The vinyl in this case is a mixture of imagery that I’m currently thinking about; Seasteading, AI robots, 3D printed guns, hospitals going under, drones and drone warfare, cryptocurrency and an overabundance of waste topped off by a smiling child overlooking it all. The work is an amalgamation of all this, with the world overrun with satellites and the smiling, future generation, looking at all of this and smiling, too occupied by YouTube drama to care. I enjoy it as a reflection of the internet, or what’s within the screen of this acrylic sheen. Like a bug scurrying across the floor. Anyway, that’s a new piece that will be ‘completed’ during the week.
I’m finally getting around to visualising the post 9/11 piece, that sees a print on vinyl attached to MDF of all the windows desktops post 9/11, with all the dates changed to 9/11. I’m very happy with how it looks, well over a metre in length. That will be going in the show next week.
I think that’s it for new work, I’m still working on the composition of the piece using the wire frame and I’m still waiting for the physical bitcoins to arrive, alongside a Donald Trump inauguration coin. These will be half buried in sand in a plastic tub, submerged in the future and being looked at by the past in a way. I’ve been watching these YouTube videos of a first person camera walking through various locations around the world. One of the more interesting ones is the Highline in New York. A former railroad in NYC converted into an elevated park, attracting millions of visitors a year. I like this video, wandering through at a brisk space, taking around half an hour to walk the 1.45 mile stretch, dodging tourists, seeing a TV show being filmed, photo shoots, cyclists, people chatting, art being installed. Everything and nothing is happening. This is just a normal day in this gentrified, beautiful space. It’s new and exciting. I’m not sure if the coins and this video go together, but I like this video nonetheless and want to potentially do something with it. It’s here in the meantime - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41pbOJE&t=1535s
And I think that’s everything for my own work. Kind of a slow week I guess, I’ve been waking up a little later than I’d like. I’m not sure why…

Anyway, next up, stuff with isthisit? is happening. Launching tomorrow on the site is an exhibition by ITS KIND OF HARD TO EXPLAIN featuring four texts, one each week responding to the last. Very fun and a superb line up of artists. It’ll be launching tomorrow, so head over to www.isthisitisthisit.com then to check it out.
The open call for the fourth issue is still happening, lots of great people have applied, lots of great people already involved. It’s all slowly happening and coming together, although I’m going to take my time with this one I think. Just, go it slow and maybe think of some new ways of making the books. Potentially binding them differently so that they’re cheaper and I’m able to send them to people/places. I dunno… Anyway, go to www.isthisitisthisit.com/issue-04 to apply with your AI focused artwork, open till the 31st!
I also finally got around to publishing all the previous interviews from the past magazines on the site. You can read those here - http://www.isthisitisthisit.com/interviews 10 exclusive and non-exclusive interviews.
I’m also going to try to start doing interviews and reviews for the site, on a very vague basis, as and when I really love an exhibition and when I like an artist and want to interview them about their practice. Hopefully at least once or twice a month, beginning with just me doing it at first, as obviously I have no money to pay people, then hopefully when it becomes more of a thing I can potentially sign more people on. I guess we’ll see what happens, whether that’s actually a sustainable model and if I’m actually up to doing that sort of thing on a regular basis. It will probably improve my writing at least.

I think that might be it for now, I’m kind of taking things slow. I keep thinking about what’s going to happen once uni ends. Jobs, work, money and less time for everything else. I dunno…

Let’s move onto galleries, beginning with something I forgot to talk about last week: Sophie Jung at Blain Southern which was great. A form of concrete poetry responding to various sculptures made from a variety of found assemblage sculptures. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Next up were the new shows at the Zabludowicz Collection. The invites this time was Siobhan Coen, basically a replica of her Slade BA final show last year, which was admittedly great, involving a large multi coloured cube painting whose colours continually changed and morphed psychedelically as light boxes within the space changed. All of this accompanied a spoken text, originally read by Donald Rumsfeld regarding Unknown Knowns. It’s good.
The main show however, was not. A Minute Ago, curated by a bunch of people from various Mas at CSM. It was okay, a ton of video work and not much else. It’s always hard though, the annual testing ground project, with 10 or so amateur curators on the project things probably get very complicated. I dunno, the phrase ‘too many cooks’ comes to mind.
Lychee One was next with a solo show from Bea Bonafini, an artist who seems to primarily paint carpet alongside a series of beautiful framed drawings. The carpet, hung on the wall, was fun. Many layers, paint pushed into the material to create various evocative character imagery. Yeah, solid show.
GAO gallery with another solo show from Matthew Peers, the third exhibition in the space and yet another male artist. I always think it’s a little weird when female directors of galleries primarily showcase male artists, similar to Vitrine not representing any female artists and a bunch of males. Although, I’m very much not in their position, so who am I to judge I guess. Anyway, the show was okay, mainly incredibly messy, ugly sculptures made from clay and ruptured pipe. Within these structures there were moments of beauty; a superbly crafted mushroom out of wood, glass poles and other subtle differences. I’m sure it was meant to mean something, but I just couldn’t get over the initial ugliness to appreciate the beauty within.
South London Gallery had two shows on. The bottom floor had work by Michael Armitage on show. Very large paintings of people and fantastical things happening, one of them was called Hope and another was called Exorcism. I didn’t like them very much.
Upstairs however was an incredible video work by Ilona Sagar exploring the history of the Pioneer Health Centre in Peckham. Looking at ideas of gentrification, futurism and the wellness industry, it was well worth 20 minutes. I’d highly recommend, and it may be the first review, maybe.
Assembly Point was next with a solo show from Milly Peck being made up of painted MDF boards, fragile looking and delicately crafted works resembling various interiors of a house. I really liked it, very crispy and well done.
After that I attempted to go to IMT gallery, which was annoyingly closed…
Then I went to Annka’s to see the current one week show there. Michal Plata with his MA degree show work from last year. An obsession with muscled men, motorbikes and more masculinity.
After that was Auto Italia, a great solo show featuring a single video by Martin Kohout called Night Shifts, looking at people who work at night in this hyperconnected world, obsessed with screens and photographs, talking to Siri and wearing light up glasses. I thoroughly enjoyed the piece, inspiring in a way.
Then there were two trashy shows at Modern Art, such a fancy gallery. Who actually calls their gallery modern art? One for Condo featuring Fiona Connor, boring work about pin boards and how no one uses them anymore because of the internet. Yeah, obviously.
The other was an incredibly slow film by David Noonan, a ton of imagery slowly fading in and out of time.
Afterwards I went to Roaming Projects for If You Can’t Stand The Heat, a packed show of female artists working with ceramics. It was good, but very much not my kind of work. However, I could still appreciate the work and enjoyed what it was.
Then I went to Lungley Gallery, a new very small space that just opened. The director was lovely, the show was okay, considering how to navigate and install an exhibition when you’re in a different country. I look forward to seeing what’s next.
Finally was the RCA WIP show. Nothing really grabbed me aside from a very distressing and funny piece by Marijn Ottenhof, looking at a group of people seemingly trapped within these coloured rooms, trapped within a sort of social experiment situation. I’m not sure, nonetheless, it was fun. Just lots of general stuff it felt like, nothing grabbing me…
That’s it for art, now as it hits one o’clock in the morning, let’s talk about films, games and TV shows. Let’s begin with The Florida Project. A very well acted film about a mother and daughter, struggling to live in a cheap motel right next to Disney World. Everything was great, aside from the ending where I was asked to care about these people. These people who had throughout the film been hateful, trained others to be hateful and pushed those away, with no real redeeming qualities or a backstory of distress that may have caused this attitude to manifest itself. Good film, just don’t ask me to feel for these people.
Call Me By Your Name was brilliant, a tale of forbidden love between a 17 year old boy and a young man beginning a relationship in 1983 in Italy during the summer break. It was beautifully acted and very distressing at times; the naivety, the acted ambivalence. It was great.
Coco was another fantastic film concerning the day of the dead and a boy who wasn’t allowed to play guitar. Go watch it, a beautiful animation with a hard hitting centre regarding Alzheimer’s.
And I think that’s all the films and TV. I finished watching Halt and Catch Fire which was great, but apart from that nothing else it seems. I think I might be watching too much trash YouTube content.
The final thing I’ll write about is a wonderful game called What Remains of Edith Finch developed by Giant Sparrow, who also developed The Unfinished Swan, an equally beautiful game that sees you shooting paint droplets. Anyway, Edith Finch has many layers to the story. You begin on a boat with a broken arm, you look down at the book you’re reading, open it and get transported into an old diary from Edith Finch. So immediately you’re in someone else’s shoes and embedded within a potentially unreliable narrator. You as Edith now within the book are placed near a towering house in the middle of a huge forest. From there you’ll enter other pieces of information, basically ticking off a list of all your relatives as you experience each of their deaths, all supposedly because of a family curse. It’s a beautiful video game that sees you experience various types of gameplay, going into different narratives and being involved in a complex overarching story. I would highly recommend and it’s definitely worth 3 hours of your life. Go play it or watch it on YouTube.
So, that’s it for this week. Tomorrow, or today in fact, I hand in my dissertation, then begin working on the video for the piece. This week I’m going to email more artists for the upcoming issue, get up earlier, attempt to write a review, begin an interview, finish the floor piece and potentially the wire piece but probably not, begin working on the video work and just keep going.

That’s about it. Have a good week. Oh and watch the new season of High Maintenance, it’s fantastic, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment