Monday 9 April 2018

Premiums: Interim Projects, Life is Strange: Farewell, Isle of Dogs, Jerwood and isthisit? issue 5

This week I’ve managed to go to a bunch of exhibitions, have heard back from the majority of the artists I’m continuing to invite for the exhibition in June and successfully de-installed the exhibition at arebyte. I came back from Suffolk on Thursday, which was a shame, although it’s nice to leave London for just a week, and have been going to see things and planning studio visits since. I guess we should begin?

So Monday – Thursday morning I was in Suffolk, continuing to email artists and planning the upcoming exhibition. This has been slowly progressing, with most people I’ve contacted being incredibly nice and supportive, and me being still studying at university being not so big of a deal, which is actually quite revealing and interesting to me. Perhaps the negative associations about being a student are simply all in my head? Probably not. Anyway, so far people who have said yes are Toby Christian, Fabio Lattanzi Antinori, Joshua Citarella, Elliott Dodd, Jake Moore, Veronika Krenn and Davide Bevilacqua, Claire Jervert, Molly Soda, Rustan Söderling, IKO (itskindofhardtoexplain), Debora Delmar, Laura Yuile, Jonathan Monaghan, Émilie Brout & Maxime Marion, Lydia Blakeley, Willem Weismann and of course, myself. So that’s 21 people, 17 artist collectives/duos. So not bad, I think we’re getting there. 13 of the 21 are men, something I’ also going to address and balance out. So in the coming weeks I need to keep searching for more artists to add, focus in on some of the key spaces I’ll be including in my application and figure out a name, press release and of course how the publication is going to look and who I should start contacting to write some essays for it. Basically lots of things I need to start doing now, giving people enough time to both get back to me and write new things. So yeah, that’s progressing.
When I came back to London I went straight to arebyte for the final evening of the show, which was fine. The First Thursdays Whitechapel Bus came by, I tried to talk about the show, it was fine, not great, but fine. Then on Friday I de-installed the exhibition with the help of Jim, which was finished in under 5 hours. More Ubers, more money spent, more regret for physical exhibitions haha. The show’s also been featured on TZVETNIK, an online platform that hosts photographs from exhibitions. I contacted a bunch, something I’ve never really done before, not totally sure why, and they got back to me almost immediately, which was great. Here’s the link if you want to see pics on their site -  tzvetnik.online/portfolio_page/im-sorry-i-didnt-quite-catch-that/ I think the exhibition was fairly successful, over 220 people came overall, including the private view, so not bad, although it was quite far away, so I assume that did put people off. Also it was on for only two weeks. One week longer than anything I’ve done before though, so that’s a positive.
I still have a bunch, around 20, copies of the book to sell. It would be nice if those sold and helped to fund future things, although it is really nice having something solid that I can give to people who I respect. Simply sending a book goes a long way I think. So maybe I’ll just do that? Who knows, I guess I’ll keep promoting and see.
Today I launched the open call for the fifth issue, focusing on surveillance. It’s again, quite a general theme, but one that suits my practice and can fit in with a lot of artists and their practices too. This is the brief text to go alongside the call:

The overriding theme of the book will be surveillance, how offline and online life has become increasingly monitored and mediated by corporations and government bodies. Is a surveillance state something to be sought after, enabling the young and old to traverse dark streets late at night, or would this swiftly turn into a thinly veiled dystopian nightmare, built on elegant rhetoric subliminally insinuating that minority groups are the problem, forcing the lower classes out of cities and into oblivion? Is it ethically and morally correct to use a data-mining company to manipulate and seduce voters? Who makes the rules in a society that increasingly resembles a totalitarian paradise? The upcoming book seeks to investigate and question these fundamental and increasingly pertinent questions.

So yeah, that it, go here if you’d like to submit and read more about the issue, now I need to start researching and contacting artists for that. It’s going to be an email heavy few months - //www.isthisitisthisit.com/issue-05
What else? I think that might be it in terms of art production or art thinking. I now need to get back into my own art creation, thinking about what to produce and what I want to start thinking about. Of course the Cambridge Analytica scandal is interesting, but maybe slightly too obvious to research and make work about. Let’s move onto exhibitions.

Beginning with the HereNow: Outcome Exhibition at SPACE. This is an annual show which showcases the work that was produced by a number of artists in residence over the duration of however many months. Some good work, some super boring ‘tech’ work, some work I may have to return to. One piece I truly loved was by Thomas Yeomans, someone I kind of know so may be bias. He’d created a series of light boxes with a variety of CGI flags blowing in the wind, each lightbox a different flag, mostly produced and fictionalised by himself, or taken from films and pop culture, like the United Federation of Planets from Star Trek. So those are very nice and crispy, works I’d like to curate at some point perhaps…
Next up was Hardeep Pandhal at Cubitt Gallery with a solo show titled Liar Hydrant, all about the politics of race and gender, made up of a chair sculpture that I enjoyed the idea of but didn’t actually get to fully embrace. It consisted of a bouncy bench, on each side of the bench a large spring made the bench spring up and down. Two people had to both spring at the same time to ‘activate’ this work, throwing a viewer into an enjoyable, playground like enthusiasm with complete strangers, reverting anyone over the age of 20 to their childhood whilst watching a series of slightly crudely animated rap videos. I liked these, and enjoyed the idea of the bench. Yeah, good. Although I suspect I may not be the target audience, being white, or perhaps I am?
Hannah Barry Gallery was fine, a group show titled Wasp, featuring a bunch of photographs, some paintings, a few lovely texts and poems alongside an interesting seeming video work about a working class woman attempting to ‘manage’ her 5 children over the course of a day or so. The show supposedly forces us to consider way in which we as human beings face the ‘grit’ and pressures of daily life. I’m slightly dubious of that curatorial prerogative, I’m not sure why, it just feels slightly disingenuous perhaps? Anyway, I liked the poetry, paintings were crap and film was interesting. Hmm.
CGP London was next. I love going to this gallery, as it forces you to walk through a park, which is always nice, a gallery situated in a park. The exhibition was a solo show from Megan Broadmeadow called Seek-Pray-Advance, Episode 1: Eyes Only. You walk through a curtain doorway, an oversized serpents mouth, into a corridor filled with infinity mirrors, once you’re out you’re standing in a projection filled space with desert like projection mapping and smaller screens showing various figures in black and white being followed by a drone. It was okay, I would say fun, like a TV science fiction set is fun to see, but for me this had all the hallmarks of stereotypical sci-fi, the corridor of light, spaceship increments and the Nevada desert accompanied by an ominous looking cloud. It was okay, just not great. It felt like the artist had watched a bunch of 50s sci-fi and converted that into art in 2018. I’m not sure, it was fine and kind of fun.
Matt’s Gallery was super dull, a solo show from Jo Bruton titled Run. They’ve moved spaces again, to a tiny venue in Bermondsey. It was basically a bunch of laser cut things of people and pastel coloured wallpaper. I was not interested.
After that was Maeve Brennan and Imran Perretta at Jerwood with the FVU awards exhibition titled Unintended Consequences. Basically the artists receive £20,000 to make a film, how fantastic is that. Parretta’s was quite short, focusing on a slowly ruining 3D mapped and scanned camp in the middle of a forest, questioning ideas of race and deconstructing cultural histories. It was good. I need to return to Brennan’s, as hers was fairly long and I had a long day ahead.
Copperfield was showing work from Rä di Martino in a solo show called Poor Poor Jerry, consisting of a film whereby an animated Jerry from the cartoon series Tom and Jerry dances in various environments. An animated blow up Jerry, glitching throughout these various environments whilst recounting animators voices. I liked the film, although accompanying this was a series of 3D prints of Jerry, sliced up bodies and full bodied prints revealing the insides. I thought these were unneeded, drawing attention to the inherent quality of the 3D print rather than discussing glitching in film. However, the gallery then contacted me through Instagram, explaining the work, which was super nice, informing me of its glitched properties and how the 3D model was forced to print through the printer. That’s always fun and something I like to see, galleries being open and talking with their audience.
Next was Emalin and a solo show from Aslan Gaisumov called All That You See Here, Forget that featured a back to back set of videos. It was about war, and that’s all I’ll say. It’s fairly bleak and detached from what I usually encounter. Good art but ultimately not for me.
Kunstraum was fine, with a solo show from Mary Hurrell titled 2 (Aerial), although it always feels like this space is only for performance works, and the resulting exhibition left in its wake is kind of an afterthought. Nice name though.
Ricky Swallow at Modern Art was dull, boring old sculptures. The show was called 4. Very wanky.
Tamar Harpaz with a solo show titled Crazy Delay at Edel Assanti was trash. Just more fetish wiring that I really do not like. Why has this trend come back? Did it ever leave? I’m okay with artists like Evan Roth doing it, as that becomes a thing whereby the fat cables suffocate the gallery. In this though, when it feels like ‘oh, look at how good at programming stuff I am’. This is boring and not exciting. This for me was glorified music, like the Robot Orchestra but not as cool.
A group show of Chinese artists at Pilar Corrias was good, titled Witness the exhibition consisted of responses to changes in the urban environment within and around China. I’m mostly a fan of Cui Jie’s work, large paintings and a 3D print of various utopic 80s architectural drawings mashed into one. Solid work.
Marcus Coates at Workplace Gallery was fine, titled The Last of its Kind it featured the artist going on a mission to apologise to a bird, the Great Auk. Apologising on behalf of the human race for causing its extinction. It was funny, work that I would have found funny a few years ago, but now it feels like he should be apologising for his whiteness, for – kind of – mocking this birds experiences, even though it probably isn’t mocking as it would be a lot of work for simple mocking to be the outcome. I was left confused.
The final exhibition was at the Royal Academy, Premiums: Interim Projects. Basically a bunch of second years from the postgraduate course there, which was actually very good, very crispy and very professional. As obviously, these people are professional, lots having solo shows around the globe. Débora Delmar, who I’ve met with and am showing in the June exhibition, was in the Berlin Biennale, has had a solo show at Modern Art Oxford. Jala Wahid had a solo show at Seventeen Gallery in 2017. These are exciting people who’re all very cool. This is why I don’t want to do an MA now, as you’ll be alongside people like this, who actually have real world experience. Anyway, lots of fantastic work, Débora was showing a series of vinyl marbled hand dryers, Daniel Burley had on show a series of custom made swords from children’s video games in full size, alongside making a whole album/mix for the show which you listened to on wireless headphones through the exhibition. Basically very good and very enjoyable, even though it was situated within the weirdness of the RA.
That’s it for exhibitions, a healthy and reasonable amount this week. Now for films, which is probably sorely lacking. I’ve been watching so much of The Amazing World of Gumball, it’s fully taken over now, and I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not.
Isle of Dogs from Wes Anderson was incredibly satisfying, precise, very delicate and quite beautiful. It was a thoroughly enjoyable experience, although many of the characters, the dogs, blended into one, with their character traits and unique voice talents slowly melting together. This was a shame. Another aspect is of course the controversy surrounding Anderson’s portrayal of Japan and Japanese culture, more specifically seeing this space through a stereotypical, tourists eye. I, having not been to Japan and not knowing much about their culture other than what I see in films and vague research, can’t truly comment on this. I’m going to see what my Japanese friends say about the film, although everyone has different reactions to things, different tolerances to stereotyping. So who knows? It was nice and impressive.
You Were Never Really Here directed by Lynne Ramsay was incredibly brutal, lots of killing, lots of assumed killing. Basically about a mentally and physically abused man stalking prey, and doing it very well with a series of ball point hammers. Bleak.
Spaceship was pretty crap, only watched because I know the main actress Tallulah Haddon. Crap whimsical story telling, very ‘wishy washy’, and I hate tying those words.
Paddington 2 was fantastic and lovely, taking you back to beautiful and naïve stories. Sometimes films for children are fantastic.
Ready Player One, a book by Ernest Cline I enjoyed turned into a film. Of course it was going to be unsuccessful, and didn’t even try. It basically took the premise of a virtual world and didn’t really take anything else. Full of plot holes, awkward acting, basic villains and cringe worthy referencing. I think it was fine for what it was, but not good and certainly not great.
Proud Mary was terrible.
That’s it for film. Now for games, beginning with the final chapter (I think) in the Life is Strange prologue. So, to catch up. The original Life is Strange featured Max and Chloe, Max a promising student returning to her home town to study at a prestigious college and Chloe a drop out and old friend of Max. They join back up and uncover terribly distressing secrets and it’s a beautiful game. Then last year Life is Strange: Before the Storm came out. A prequel to the events in the first game, set whilst Max was away, seeing how Chloe changed and grew without her best friend. Again, amazingly beautiful. Now this week I played the final part of this prequel, an extra prequel that sees you play as 13 year old Max about to leave Chloe for five or so years, where the first game begins (five years later). Throughout these games you have various flashbacks to Chloe’s dad dying in a fatal car crash, it’s terrible and has lasting effects on Chloe. So in this extra prequel episode you can kind of tell that this is going to happen, this death, occurring right before you then leave your best friend for five years, before a whole heap of suffering occurs for Chloe that you’ve already played through and witnessed. You’re already feeling sorry for this beautiful character. You spend an amazing day playing these 13 year olds, bonding and enjoying being young and free. At the end of the episode Chloe’s mum comes in and informs you that her dad is dead, you see the funeral and Max driving away, leaving her best friend in tears. This then caused me to cry quite a lot, considering what Chloe’s about to go through, how she turns from this innocent 13 year old into an abused 18 year old throughout the course of the series of games. So yes, an incredibly beautiful experience and game that I now want to replay, or would be interested to see how one would feel playing these games in order, beginning at 13, then to 15 when Chloe is without Max, then to Max returning in the later game. I wonder whether you’d be as emotionally connected to the characters as I have been? Anyway, a beautiful series of games, now officially my favourite game ever. If you play games please go and play.
Annnd I think that’s it. This coming week features more planning, a bunch of studio visits and more emails. Perhaps some of my own art making, but maybe not. Oh and an interview too, a filmed one. How worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment