Monday 24 April 2017

Elliot Dodd, David Blandy and 30/30

Not a huge amount of stuff happened this week; assimilating back to being in London, thinking about art, the Leeds show and issue 2 of the magazine… How exhilarating.

Let’s begin by going through all the work I’ve made for 30/30 so far, a fair amount of digital collages alongside a few videos, simple photographs and a gif or two.

Day 1, a gif of Mario jumping and being unable to break a box:
Day 2, a wiki how video detailing how to escape your life with found footage of ‘VR fails’:
Day 3, video game footage spliced with an explosion, a lion yawning and a satellite dish?
Day 4, quite a fun video actually, sky diving in GTA5 accompanied by an animated water wheel and a beating heart:
Day 5, utilising an image from Life is Strange accompanied by found text:
Day 6, a self-portrait alongside free wifi?
Day 7, text overlaid on various angry young people fighting. I definitely need to utilise text overlays in a ‘proper’ video at some point, alongside a proper voice over, which I’ll come to later.
Day 8 was literally the soundtrack to Journey:
Day 9, digital collage taking the map from GTA5 and splicing in a few other cultural icons:
Day 10, a very basic one, taking an old idea and sending it in as a work:
Day 11, a very slow day obviously:
Day 12 utilised episode 1 of a video I made for the I.O.U.A.E residency I did last week:
Day 13 has been lost. I wonder what I made…

Day 14, a queen bee crawling out of her cocoon, with the aid of a human set to Demi Lovato’s ‘Gift Of A Friend’:
Day 15, a stock limbo image with the person taken out of it:
Day 16, an uncompleted Snapchat that I took at 2 in the morning:
Day 17, the ‘hang in there’ cat has finally dropped, leaving scratch marks on the tree:
Day 18, lots of avatar faces turned into a wallpaper:
Day 19, a webcam photograph of myself in the studio:
Day 20, an edited, updated Google Chrome icon:
Day 21, a duplicate drawing of a clothes peg:
Day 22, Guernica taken apart, into a sort of puzzle:
Day 23 (today), a video piece showing a snowy 3D animation of a forest, with Van Gogh’s a starry night painted on a wooden cabin, with accompanying voice over about relaxing from me and various overlays of cars and globes:
So that’s 30/30, it’s been okay, lots of lazy submissions, but a few fun ideas to play with in the future. Overlays of rain drops seems to be a fun feature alongside text overlays and speech recordings. I want to stop using the robot voice and using my own in future videos, making it more personal to me, maybe speaking about my own lived experiences, in a similar vein to the recent online residency…

I’ve been wanting to make something physical from all the digital work I did for the residency, something real and tangible with the Facebook messages work that I unearthed. During the res I dived back into the All My Messages project that I produced around this time last year, publishing all my Facebook messages on the internet. I took out various sentences, ones that contained words that would supposedly get you on the NSA watch list, and highlighted those words after putting them back into the context of the Facebook messenger app. Although this is a bit basic, it was kind of nice, and developed into various works; vinyl prints, video pieces and sculptures. These can be checked out on my website here: www.bobbicknell-knight.com/observe-monitor-survey and a few ideas on the I.O.U.A.E Instagram here: www.instagram.com/i.o.u.a.e

I really want to get that ‘post 9/11’ piece printed and mounted, as I think it would look very clean in real life, but that’s probably for the future. For the moment, utilising the blue acrylic that I never used for the lights for the A217 show, I’ve been planning a new sculpture that involves the 3D printed bitcoin and my Facebook messages made into stickers. It’ll hopefully look a little like this:
The tripod would be holding this blue rectangular cuboid, filled with Facebook messages crushed and screwed up, whereas on the outside other Facebook messages turned into stickers would be arranged every so often, subtlety blending into the deep blue of the acrylic. The bitcoin would sit ontop like some sort of trophy, with the heaphones playing a sound piece that I’m still unsure of, maybe the sound of someone breathing/walking? Or maybe, with my new found enjoyment of speaking over things, maybe my own voice reciting something? I could take the On Kawara approach and record me saying all of my messages? For me this is the messages, and the contemporary currency of bitcoin, undertaking surveillance on the participant, silently judging them in this elevated position of the tripod. Both the messages and the coin are fully intertwined with the capitalist undertones of our society, trapped within the blue box. Maybe I don’t even need the broken messages paper if I’m going to read them all out, with the MP3 player embedded within the box. Anyway, that will be made in the next week or so, hopefully getting the pieces sliced tomorrow and the box taking shape. It seems easy enough, but needs to be developed further…

I’ve been thinking about getting back into video game creating, or utilising the video game engine to create a video piece. I was thinking about where I was this time last year, collaborating with John on his degree show and thinking about all the skills I learned over that time. Skills I only really used once or twice in my own artworks…

What else? Things with isthisit? are going well, I recently looked at the monthly view count, and turns out the website is averaging around 5,000 – 10,000 views per month, which is kind of exciting. After looking at the Digital Artist Residency, an online residency space, a recent collaboration they did with OVADA allowed them to fund a bunch of different artists, commissioning work, etc. All because they get over 5,000 views on their website each month. So maybe I should begin looking for funding for future projects, like the second issue of the magazine or simply being able to pay curators/artists who contribute to the platform? Hmmm...

I opened the call for issue 2 of the magazine, which will focus on memes and appropriation on the internet. I think having a more precise open call will make for a tighter submission list. It also allows me to include the recent essay that I wrote, which both allows for more people to read my writing and one less essay to get from someone else. The open call for the issue is here and ends on the 20th May - www.curatorspace.com/opportunities/detail/isthisit-magazine-issue---memes-and-internet-appropriation/1271
I’ve also begun emailing artists who may be interested in making some 3D printed USB drives. I’m in a place where I want to start contacting ‘bigger’ artists to be involved, but as I don’t have any money to pay people with, I’ve had a few people turn me down. I’m offering them a fair amount of the profits of the USB sticks (if they sell) but maybe I should simply be offering them a sum up front, with all the profits going to me once they sell? I need to think about this, and maybe talk to some people who commission artists. If you know anyone who might be interested, let me know.

Everything is set for next week at Serf, going up Wednesday to install in the eve, then opening on Thursday night and coming back to London on the Friday during the day. I think it’ll be good, lots of people have seen the event and are ‘going’/’interested’, so hopefully money will be accumulated which will be used in future projects. I need to start being acutely aware of how much money I spend, both on my art, on general living and the money that I make from the magazine.

The online shows with isthisit? have been going well. Last week Helena curated another show, featuring a bunch of her colleagues over at School of the Damned, the alternative MA run by and for the students on the course. Next week I’m curating a show on the site because the curator for this week rescheduled, so that’ll give me a chance to have some fun, learning from the previous curators and maybe making something bigger. I do love the learning process, attempting to push the boundaries of Wix and its annoyingly frustrating software. I wish I could code websites…
The next exhibition with uni that we’re working towards now is in about 4 weeks time, with the plans having to be given in in two weeks. What should I make, who knows?

David Blandy was the artist talk this week. Finally, someone who actually makes good work. The first half was him performing an artist talk, showing a bunch of different works in a performative way, as well as singing and talking over a video making it seem like the video was being created in real time. It was very good, although I would have liked to see more of the work I haven’t seen, videos that are only available to see in exhibitions, or work that I’m not aware of.
I think that’s all the work/isthisit? stuff from this week… I want to curate another show this term, something new, something in a ‘proper’ gallery space. Maybe I need to spend some money renting a space…

I went to a few shows this week, the first being the Zabludowicz invites show featuring Elliot Dodd, who makes these amazing video works and drawings, the former being incredibly high quality videos with ‘weird’ animations obscuring people’s faces and the latter drawings of these slimy face drawings. The show featured a new video work, made to feel like a music video showing two people, one connected to a VR device whilst having a conversation inspired by Plato’s Timaeus. It also takes footage from Accounting, a VR video game created by Crows Crows Crows and designed with Squanchtendo (the guys who make Rick and Morty). Yeah, it was a good piece, although I was sad to not have seen some of his drawings, which I enjoy, or maybe something with more stuff in it… A thing I like about the zab invites shows, they always do an interview with the artist, which serves as their press release. They’re always great, and whilst I was there I saw that they’ve compiled them into a book. Definitely worth buying. Also, book shops, lots of galleries have them, are they for sustaining the space?
The other, bigger show at the zab right now is You Are Looking at Something That Never Occurred. An exhibition of photography, with one or two videos. It’s good, with some amazing prints that I’ve only seen in books, an example of this being Andreas Gursky’s Chicago Board Of Trade. An incredible piece, but still a photograph. The most interesting work that I wasn’t aware of had to be Sara Cwynar’s Soft Film, an esoteric experience that explores how objects circulate via the internet, examining her personal collection of objects purchased from eBay. Both exhibitions are definitely worth seeing and making the trip up to Chalk Farm for.
In between the ‘actual’ shows I went to two student shows being put on by Chelsea first year students. It was nice to reminisce, see how far I feel I’ve come and to see some potentially interesting work. One was at Safehouse 1 & 2 in Peckham and was fairly dull, the other was in Camberwell at 47 gallery. The students had created a pop up shop within the white cube environment, exhibiting the work on clothes racks and various other retail equipment. For first years, the concise theme, with the idea of the replica (or in reality the simulation) was really impressive, with a lot of the work feeling custom made for this show. Yeah, I’m excited to see what the people do next, as I do love to see good work being made, which always seems fairly rare at Chelsea…
Tenderpixel was next, seeing David Ferrando Giraut’s solo show The Accursed Stare on the last day. A few prints, a few sculptural wall works with embedded lights, but the two main events were video works, one considering the relationship between an iPhone 4 and an Egyptian hand mirror, and the other an incredibly dense 35 minute experience composed of a number of chapters, beginning at the birth of the image and ending with the consumerism of today. The videos were all 3D animations, basically essays that had then been transformed into films. Very intense.
After that there was Marian Goodman with a not-very-interesting solo exhibition from Annette Messager. Lots of sowing, lots of big scissors made from fabric, lots of watercolours of vaginas, a whole room in fact. That was fairly amusing and overpowering, but everything else was a bit ‘I’ve seen this before’…
Mat Collishaw at Blain Southern was actually quite enticing. You walk in and see this huge projection of an animated wire frame tree, slowly swaying in the wind. The installation is a little over the top, but still kind of impressive in its enormity. On the walls of the space were these small, very detailed and delicate paintings of British garden birds tethered to perches connected to graffitied cement walls. In the other room, the ‘main event’ of the show was a ‘zoetrope’, a pre-film animation device that produces the illusion of motion through rapid rotation and stroboscopic light. This gives the illusion that these garden variety birds were moving. Quite impressive and beautiful. I liked it because of its technical achievement rather than the ingenious concept.
Carl Kostyál had a solo show by Yu Honglei made up these huge sculptures that look like they’re made of painted polystyrene. Huge and garish at times, these were accompanied by a video piece that I wanted to watch, but at this point I was limited for time. It did look good though, with the snippet I watched featuring a group of people sky diving above Palm Jumeirah in Dubai…
The highlight of the week was seeing Ryoji Ikeda at (surprisingly) Almine Rech, who knew they put on exciting exhibitions? The highlight of the works were, as always, the videos that go through various iterations of analysing massive amounts of data in different aesthetic forms. It’s beautiful to watch, spread over multiple screens. I remember seeing a more all-encompassing rendition of this work at Brewer Street Car Park in 2015, and it was beautiful. Weirdly, I wrote about it in my blog back in May of 2015 – ‘From there I went on to the Brewer Street Car Park, that was showing work by Ryoji Ikeda, who is an electronic composer and visual artist. The exhibition involved a lot of sound and flashing lights, and is quite hard to explain. It was an amazing experience.’ I haven’t changed haha… Alongside the videos, there were a bunch of more commercial works, impressive prints that encourage you to stick your face incredibly close to the piece to see the numbers, or incredibly clean lines. How big must those PNG files be?
Then there was Timothy Taylor with a terrible exhibition of paintings by Eddie Martinez. So boring…
Sadly, the last exhibition I went to was at Massimo De Carlo with a very weird show by Paola Pivi. Weird because their practice was so varied, ranging from feathers attached to bike wheels spinning (totally weird), to a cube room which was made up of 52 huge tv screens, covering the walls and turning the room into a sauna, with obvious lies blurting out over the speaker system and various images continually changing on the screens. The show ends with huge, life size sculptures of polar bears made from white feathers and a bunch of large not-very-good cartoon drawings. Like, what is going on with this artist’s practice?
That was everything, an interesting variety of stuff, but still have a load to see that’s opened recently…

Did I watch any films this week? Or was it only concentrated on tv? Ah yes, the one film I watched (which was great) was Get Out. A horror film about, and I quote, ‘a young African-American man who visits his Caucasian girlfriend’s family estate.’ What unravels is quite enthralling to watch, from the incredibly tight critique of white western society alongside an impressive acting experience by the whole cast. For me in horror films, I do much prefer the lead up to the reveal, rather than the reveal itself, which is usually a lot less interesting than what you might think it is. It is very rare for the lead up to ‘live up to the hype’. Either way, amazing film and well worth your money/time.
I forgot to mention last week my obsession with Samurai Jack, a beautifully animated tv show that I managed to watch in the space of a week. The very basic plot line consists of a samurai fighting a demon like creature, who transports him into the past. The samurai then must find his way back to the past, to stop the demon from enslaving the world, like he’s done in the future reality that the samurai now resides in. The first few seasons are incredible in terms of animation style, with the plot being good, but not that serious, more comedy than drama. They recently began airing a new season, after a ten-year hiatus. The new season is amazing, building from the foundations of the early seasons and creating this character who’s dark and brooding, who’s still fighting the demon after being in this new world for 60 years or so in an un-aging state. Yeah, it’s incredible and I would highly recommend watching. It is a shame, as the early seasons are still very good, just not up there with the Rick and Morty’s and the Bojack Horseman’s of this ‘new age’ of animation, where things actually matter in the plot line and developments in the characters aren’t simply scrubbed clean at the end of every episode. To watch this new season it’s not fully required, but to actually ‘know’ the character of Jack I would highly recommend watching all the episodes… Fucking good stuff.
I also started to watch 13 Reasons Why, a Netflix original based on a book focusing on a young girl’s suicide and a series of tapes she leaves behind, tapes specially made for all the different people who pushed her to commit suicide. It’s okay, but not great, and there’s a lot of blame and glorifying suicide going on. I don’t know, I’ll update this next week when I’ve finished it and have come to a real conclusion…
I think that’s it, maybe? The first half of the week is going to be business as usual, making work and curating the online show for Friday. On Wednesday I go to Leeds for a few days, hopefully having some time to go to a show or two whilst installing a (hopefully) successful show at Serf. If you’re in Leeds, come by Serf on Thursday, drink some beer and buy a print or two... Still slightly concerned about the lack of content in the show, but hopefully it’ll be okay, people like prints…

No comments:

Post a Comment