Sunday 19 July 2015

Bojack and Waxes

The last couple of days have been quite slow, as I'm slowly relaxing into not working. I really want to stop this from happening and continue to move forward with my project, but it's hard to do this when it's sunny outside and there are no deadlines for a self initiated project.

During the week however I did start to read a very interesting book by Jon Ronson called So You've Been Publicly Shamed. In it Ronson talks to a range of people who have been called out for something they may (or may not) have done, usually using social media outlets to do so. It also made a good companion piece for his article in the Guardian Weekend this week, where he's talking about Katie Hopkins.

On Friday I was working at Butley, which gave me a chance to look at my wax mould and see how it had turned out. Unfortunately it hadn't dipped as much as I would have wanted, and I'm not totally sure why. It may have been just because of the sheer amount of wax (around 20kg), but I definitely need to look into it further, as I don't want it to happen again. Hopefully at some point this week I'm going to make a big plaster mould to pour waxes into, so I can create multiple wax pieces. I really want to continue to move forward in the project,  I just need to actually use some of my time to think about it more.
In the morning moulds had to be strapped so that they could be poured in the afternoon. This was hard work, but at the same time quite fun, as I feel that I'm slowly getting better at it (hopefully).

After this was done the front of the studios had to be cleared, which involved a lot of heavy lifting of plinths and sculptures. Eventually it was tidy, but it did take a fair amount of time.
I then had to help clean up some moulds that had been wax painted, so that when the wax was poured in there wouldn't be any gaps for it to get out. This was a relatively easy job to wrap up the day!
I also think that this week I'm going to be getting some more bronze pieces cast, which will be really exciting to do again. I will also be using a different method, so that the dip in the bronze will hopefully be more prominent this time.

Yesterday I cycled to Dunwich to go to the beach, and whilst I was there I checked up on one of my sculptures. I was intrigued to see whether it was still there as I hadn't been to check up on the particular piece since I positioned it over two months ago! I'm really happy that it's still up and hasn't been taken or vandalised. I'm beginning to wonder how long I should keep them all up, or just indefinitely. It would be really fun to go and see if they were all still there in a few months time.
I've also been slowly making my way through the second season of Bojack Horseman on Netflix, which is an animated show about a horse who was on a hit TV show in the 90s but is now all washed up. It's very funny, but at the same time incredibly depressing. The first episode of the second season is solely devoted to Bojack giving into the depression that he's attempting to run away from in order to say one of his lines for a film that he's acting in. It's definitely one of my favourite cartoons and has a surprising amount of depth. I would thoroughly recommend it.

I'm going to attempt to get more of my own work created this week, rather than simply sitting in the sun and reading books. I'd also like to tie up all of the loose ends that I've been considering for my project for the last month or so. As well as this I need to go and pick up my certificate from Wensum  Lodge, so I can officially be finished with my foundation.

Daily Snapchat:

No comments:

Post a Comment