Tuesday 14 July 2015

Metal Finishing and Collapsing Wax

For the past week I've been quite busy, and my internet's been down for the majority of it too, so that's why there hasn't been a new post recently.

Last week on Wednesday and Thursday I was weeding underneath the solar panels again. This was, once again, a painfully dull process that was incredibly repetitive. Being able to catch up on podcasts was the only positive part of the experience.
On Friday I was at Butley again, undertaking tasks for Laurence whilst doing my own thing. I began the day by pouring wax into my wooden mould. It took a while for all the wax to melt, but eventually I was able to pour two full buckets into the mould. 

It was all going well for about five minutes, until the mould started leaking, very slowly at first, but when I tried to block up the hole the whole thing just collapsed in front of me. This was very annoying, as I then had to scrape up all of the wax on the floor so that it could be used again at a later date. I did manage to save all the basic parts of the mould though, so that I could re-build it at a later date.
Later on in the day I carried all of the moulds to the kiln and helped to clean out the second bath, these jobs weren't too bad compared to how I had spent the previous two days. It was a very slow day, as there weren't that many jobs that could be done by someone with my low level of skills and I didn't really feel like working on my own stuff because of the spill that had occurred in the morning, which was a shame.
I also saw my two bronze pieces that were poured on Monday, they looked interesting, but very different from what I had imagined. It was exciting to see them though. 

Over the weekend I didn't do much in terms of work, but I did play some interesting games. One was a mobile game called Lifeline, which is a text based game that involves you talking to a young student who's crash landed on another planet. The intriguing part of the experience is that the game takes place over a three day period in real time, so when Taylor goes to sleep you won't be able to play the game for another eight hours or so until he's awake again.

Yesterday I went to Butley to work but, yet again, there wasn't much that I was able to do, so I just worked on my own art and burned a bunch of empty plaster bags. This involved me reassembling the mould from Friday, which took a while, but I was eventually vaguely successful. Making sure to learn from my mistakes, I used scrim as well as plaster to strengthen the sides of the mould so that it wouldn't collapse again. 
When it came to eventually pouring the wax I had to use a wire strainer to filter out the dirt that had gotten into the wax buckets, I'm hoping that I was successful in doing this, but I'll only be able to tell when I open up the mould.
Unfortunately after I poured the wax it became evident that there was a small hole near the bottom of the mould. I was able to plug it up with clay though, so I only lost a small amount of wax. As the work began to dry, the mould began to change in shape from a square to a slight parallelogram. This was a shame, but I can always just photograph the work and re-use the wax if I don't like the end result.

After pouring the wax I was shown how to metal finish my bronze pieces using an assortment of electrical appliances and wire brushes. Being able to manipulate a piece of bronze vaguely easily was quite enjoyable and fun, but it was hard work, especially when the tiny metal shavings get onto your skin and clothes. It was really interesting to see how much the work changed during this process, as well as how beautiful and unique the surface of the sculptures became once I had taken some time to sand them down. 



Today I've been thinking more about the concepts behind the work, as well as reading a few more Philip K. Dick short stories. In the next few days I want to think about how I want to progress this project further and maybe go to Butley to check on my wax sculpture.

Daily Snapchat:

No comments:

Post a Comment