Sunday 2 August 2015

Wax Pouring and Rez

For the past week I've done a very small amount of work, which is frustrating as the amount of time I have to work on this project is slowly diminishing, so I need to be using my time more wisely now.

On Monday I went to Butley to open up the wax mould that I poured on Friday. It was slightly disappointing as the wax hardly dipped into itself. On a positive note the mould did suck into itself on some of the sides, which will work to reinforce the meaning of the primary dip.
During the week I began to think about what I actually want to have as an outcome for this project.
 I thought about how I could make a book of drawings and photographs of my work, looking at the progression of the project. This would be helpful as it would enable me to compile some of the main pieces in one space. I also considered how many different outcomes I was going to have, looking at all the different parts of the project.

The first and main "final" piece would be the wax pieces, ranging in size and colour. The angle of the pour would also be a differentiating factor within this work. I'm unsure of how many of these I want to create, maybe around five, with two or three of them being poured at an angle.

The next part of the project would be the triangular wax pieces. I do want to experiment with making these on a larger scale, but it will require a lot of time to do so. Hopefully I will be able to set aside a few days to do this, but if not it will just be a part of the project that's going to be left behind.

The broken pieces are also considered to be a part of the work, I'll probably end up making three or four of them, changing the scale and colour for every piece. This will involve pouring multiple wax moulds with the sole purpose of breaking them into pieces.

The last part of the piece will be the bronze sculptures. In the next week or two I'm going to make a few more of these, hopefully four in total, so by the end of this project I will have at least three that are deemed to be "good" in my eyes. So by the end of the summer I would like to have around 15 completed sculptures, which I feel is a good number.

On Thursday I went to Butley to work. In the morning I helped to clean the foundry, shovelling grog, sweeping the floors and throwing all the old mould skins in the skip.


In the afternoon I was able to do my own work, so I decided to make another wax piece using my plaster mould, tipping it to the side to create a slanted sculpture.
The next day was taken up by investing, which was exciting as I've never properly invested a whole sculpture before. It was a long process that took up the majority of the day. I would like to do more investing in the future, so that I can eventually do it by myself. I was also able to put two of my wax sculptures on top of the moulds, so in a few weeks I'll have two more bronze sculptures to metal finish.

I also opened up the mould that I had poured the previous day, which had once again not dipped. This is very frustrating, as I'm unable to tell why it's neglecting to dip into itself. I did use the mould again though, pouring outside this time, to see whether that would make a difference or not. Hopefully it will have dipped and I'll be greeted by a successful sculpture tomorrow morning.
As well as this I have played a few games that were all quite interesting and unique in their own way. One was called Entwined, which involves you controlling two creatures that are each assigned to each one of the thumbsticks on a controller. Although it was an enjoyable experience, other games similar to this like Rez and Child Of Eden offer a much more thought out concept and have a richer art style.

Another game I played was called Q.U.B.E. In it you manipulate a number of puzzles using a pair of special gloves that you obtain. Unfortunately towards the end I began to get bored, as the story element of the game is very limited. It was very reminiscent of a game called Portal, that sets you complicated physics based puzzles whilst you're fed an incredibly intriguing story.

As well as this I did play the newest episode of Life Is Strange, which was an incredibly distressing and amazing experience at the same time. It's the second game that I've played that has made me cry, the first being Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons.

I've also been listening to a great new podcast centred around Adventure Time called Conversation Parade. As a huge fan of the show it's enjoyable to listen to two people discussing the varied intricacies of the Adventure Time world.

On Thursday I go on holiday for about two weeks, so before that happens I want to plan out all the work I want to create before I go to university. This will hopefully push me to work on my project as soon as I get back. Tomorrow I'm going to Butley again, so I'll be able to make a few more wax pieces before I go.

Daily Snapchat:

No comments:

Post a Comment