Sunday 31 January 2016

Utopias, Culture Hacking and Electronic Superhighway

Many things have happened this week; starting a collaboration, watching a few movies, finishing the bulk of my film, starting to watch Making a Murderer, reading Utopia, going to many talks, exhibitions and a panel. It was a good week.

My works been progressing slowly, I managed to finish the editing of the music and video during the week, the majority of it anyway. I still have to film zooming out of a screen and then zooming out of that screen, which will hopefully be accomplished next week.
I did, however, start to write my script for the film, whilst researching many artists who create video works with narration or voice overs, like Camille Henrot or Jon Rafman. For the moment I’ve just been writing random spools of thought, which don’t really make sense. I’m unsure whether I want very little text, interjecting here and there, or a lot of text, overlaying the whole thing. I need to think about it further. These are a few examples of the preliminary texts:

Delving into the depths of the mind, exploring the potency of life, the hunger for an event that never occurs on the precipice of the future. Controlling a pointless world where everyone is a prototype and life is a coffin that is slowly levered into the ground.

Distractions being produced through pedagogical relationships over an eternity long escapade to the moon, tumultuous rains pouring down, obeying the laws of physics, wasting misery on the miserable.

Sinking into a slow ball of depression, becoming defeated and weightless, looking forwards in the ‘would you like to play again’ utopian culture that we have all love and cherish. Fuelling ourselves with attractive chains and living in carbon copies of each other’s lives.

Overwhelmed by the characters in an invisible war against the data banks of our minds, one conforms to the illegitimate rulers of the commonplace court of irresponsibility and depression to seek a life of luxury and inexplicable pleasure.

I also started to look into creating a sculpture of the Zook immersed in a block. The more I thought about it, the more interested I became of the possibility of making the Zook using a 3-D printer. I’m currently attempting to do this, it involves creating the model so that it’s completely water tight on a new program and sending the file to a printer somewhere in London. I’m going to pursue this further, as I think the aesthetics would be really interesting, a sculpture created on a computer melting into a material that’s been used for many many many many years.

In other news, this week me and a fellow student (Laila Majid) started to collaborate on a new project, centred on the internet (or ‘the network’ to quote James Bridle) and the overwhelming nature of the thing itself. It stemmed from discussions surrounding the idea of creating a virtual exhibition, which slowly turned into thinking about interactive space and wanting to make new work, rather than simply displaying the work that we’re doing right now online. In the end we decided to create a range of spaces, environments, within Google Sketchup and to fill them with objects from the depths of the Sketchup Warehouse. Alongside this, video and sounds from YouTube will be used, as well as screengrabs from our own computers, which will find themselves within this video piece/interactive landscape. For the moment I haven’t got anything ‘proper’ to show, but hopefully by next week we will have made some progress.

On top of this I’ve submitted my application to go on Erasmus next year, which should be exciting if I actually get through the many hoops. I only applied to one school, the San Francisco Art Institute, to go on their Art and Technology course. It looks like a really exciting course, with some really amazing tutors, Jenny Odell being one of them, who works a lot with Google Street View (similar to Rafman’s 9-eyes project) and makes work surrounding the internet as well as social media, etc. It was quite exciting to find a tutor on the course who had work that was truly inspiring to me.

During the week I went to a number of talks, the first one being the weekly Chelsea one, which was kind of interesting. Cecilie Gravesen was the artist, who makes documentary type films that stems from a research based practice, mainly looking at the ideas surrounding Colonialism. Similar – in a conceptual way – to David Blandy’s most recent video work titled ‘Finding Fanon Part Two’. Another talk I went to was centred on James Bridle and ‘Systems Literacy’. This was hosted at the Whitechapel Gallery in conjunction with Electronic Superhighway, which I went to today (it was amazing). The talk was incredible, with so many ideas flying around (not dissimilar to the velocity of the drones which feature a lot in Bridle’s work) that it was hard to keep up. There was so much said that I’m still processing it all, and will continue to read through my notes in the coming days.

The highlight of the week was going to a panel on Culture Hacking, centred on Simon Denny’s exhibition at the Serpentine, but with many more awesome people present (like Heba Amin and Brett Scott) discussing the work that they do in their chosen fields and their positions on surveillance, hacking and power. It was an incredible experience and was hard to keep up with everything that was going on. Many interesting things were discussed and said, I particularly enjoyed Scott’s comparing of artists to hackers as well as the idea of aesthetic research. Yet again, my notes will be ingested and considered as the days continue.

I read the book Utopia by Thomas More and have been reading extracts from The Faber Book of Utopias (edited by John Carey) in response to my seminar on Utopias which will begin tomorrow. In More’s Utopia, a lot of the aspects of the mythical space make it seem more like a Communist society as opposed to a ‘no place’ or ‘ideal place’. The idea that everyone’s house is exactly the same, and that the clothes never change is incredibly creepy to me. The idea that gold is used to imprison their slaves is an interesting one, and the ideas surrounding pain and pleasure were really thought inducing. I’ve also started to read Brave New World, which I’ve previously read before, but I thought that I would ‘refresh’ for the seminar. I’m also taking another seminar on Immunity and Autoimmunity, and in the lead up to that I’m reading On Immunity by Eula Bliss, which has been interesting.

Over the week I went to a number of exhibitions, the first of which was Line at the Lisson Gallery which featured many favourites, from one of Sol Lewitt’s ‘Wall Drawing’s to Florian Pumhรถsl’s beautiful ‘Tract’ animation. The other Lisson Gallery exhibition was featuring John Akomfrah and a range of his video works which were all incredibly well filmed and produced. Seventeen Gallery was another space that I visited, with an incredible light installation by Marianna Simnett which visualised the act of breathing in a subtle yet all-encompassing way that really dragged you into the work. Hales Gallery was okay, with a collection of things by Jeff Keen, which felt more like a museum exhibit than an art exhibition. The Ryder gallery on the other hand had some amazing work by Mark Davey, the precision involved within the sculptural works was an awe to observe, especially in ‘Us’, where two fluorescent tubes are in constant movement, being thrown around by motorised steel robot arms.
The Space Gallery was interesting, having not been there before I didn’t know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised by Jeremy Hutchison’s 3-D body-scan and the neon lettering that accompanied it. The Limoncello had abstract and dull paintings by Cornelia Baltes being shown, which I was uninterested by and the Chisenhale gallery (another first) had a range of assemblages featuring medical equipment as well as three huge blocks of polyurethane foam. The space was huge and amazing but not well used, in my opinion.

The final exhibition of the week was Electronic Superhighway at the Whitechapel, which I’ve been looking forward to for a number of weeks. I’d seen a lot of the work before, obviously, but nevertheless it was still a truly enjoyable experience. Seeing Eva and Franco Mattes’ ‘My Generation’ in situ was quite amazing, as well as Corey Arcangel’s ‘Snowbunny / Lakes’. Some people who were new to me included Jonas Lund with his ‘VIP’ (Viewer Improved Painting) which had an interesting concept and Jayson Musson with a compilation of YouTube clips (called Art Thoughtz) taken from his persona’s (Hennessy Youngman) channel. They are hilarious and I highly recommend watching them. I hope to return at some point, spending more hours immersed in the technology. I was disappointed that Hito Steyerl’s ‘How Not to be Seen. A Fucking Didactic Educational .MOV File’ wasn’t on display, or any of Jon Rafman’s video works, but nevertheless it was quite an inspiring exhibition.
Throughout the week I’ve also been watching a number of films, one of my favourites being ‘The End of the Tour’ which dramatizes the interview of David Foster Wallace (or ‘Dave Wallace’) by David Lipsky. Having read Infinite Jest over the summer it was incredibly interesting to listen to these two actors discussing the pitfalls of modern society over a five day period. It made me want to read more of Wallace’s collection of books. Another great film from this week was Richard Linklater’s ‘Waking Life’ which was basically an hour and a half of animated actors philosophising on the nature of reality, the meaning of life and existentialism. A really amazing piece of film making. ‘Prisoners’ was also incredible, with Jack Gyllenhaall and Paul Dano performing with clarity.

Grandma was a fun way to spend 80 minutes of my evening, and Creed got me to be vaguely interested in boxing. Kingsman: The Secret Service on the other hand was quite dull, with a terrible ending which poisoned the rest of the film for me in my opinion. Freeheld is the last film on the list, an outstanding performance by Julianne Moore (as always) accompanying a slightly dull film. The plot was an exciting one that was directed badly, making my concern for the characters wellbeing close to non-existent. Still Alice was a far better story, if we’re looking at films where we see Moore slowly decaying as the film progresses forwards.

I also started to watch Making a Murderer, which feels a little like Serial but it’s visual counterpart. I’m only four episodes in though, so who knows what will happen. On top of this I find myself repeatedly dipping into episodes of The Twilight Zone, which is always a delight.

Oh and this week’s lecture was focused on Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema. We were looking at Laura Mulvey’s essay of the same name, in conjunction with the films of Alfred Hitchcock and artists like Hannah Wilke and Cindy Sherman. It was fairly okay and I learned a few things.

Along with this I’ve been playing Braid, a video game that’s central mechanic is that you can time travel. You do this to solve complex puzzles within the game world and is interwoven with an enticing storyline. Definitely worth playing. To end the week I returned to Vice City, enjoying the pleasures of 80s music mixed with the pinks and hues of Miami. Sometimes it’s good to indulge in one thing or another.
During the week I intend to continue with my work concerning the collaboration and finalising my personal film, as well as considering ways to display the piece. I also want to get my files sent to a 3-D Printer, so that I’ll get the physical thing back as soon as possible. I look forward to the seminars, even though they’re going to be incredibly tough and hard to keep up with.

Snapchat:
bob.bk

No comments:

Post a Comment