Monday 11 April 2016

Pony Island, Oxenfree and Blue Velvet

This week has been fairly productive, creating daily work for 30/30 alongside watching a bunch of films and playing various video games. Unfortunately, I still haven’t got around to even starting my essay, but I’m hoping that in the next week I’ll actually get it done so that when the new term starts on the 18th I’ll be able to solely concentrate on work and the offsite shows, rather than having many things to juggle around.

Most of the work that I’ve created this week for 30/30 has been, in my opinion, fairly good. There have been days where I’ve simply had an idea, or remembered something that I’ve wanted to do for a while, and just done it, without actually thinking about what the various connotations were, or even if the meaning was fully fleshed out; I’ve not been entirely happy with these particular works, ‘style over substance’ would be the best way to describe them. Whenever this occurs though, I just remember that tomorrow is a new day, another chance to make a new piece of work. Other than that they’ve mostly been good.

So, on Monday the brief was experiment with documenting your work through another medium. This was one of my more ‘aesthetically orientated’ days, where I simply threw a bunch of video clips together from previous works overlaid with various text. It was kind of dull and I was slightly disappointed in myself at the end of the day.
Tuesdays brief, translate your work into another medium, was a good one, inspiring me to create a new piece of work using one of my old sculptures from my foundation course. I decided to film the burning of a particular sculpture, using three different IPhones to document the process which enabled me to create a – sort of – three channel video work. The different videos are all moving at different speeds, you see the same journey occurring from different angles and different clips, progressing as one separated into three. It definitely encapsulates the feelings that I have for my foundation work, which I’m happy about. It’s interesting, as the work that I destroyed was centred on capturing emotions, so in creating this new work I have, in a way, made a work about my emotions towards my past emotions. This is being highlighted by the aforementioned differentiated clip speeds. I enjoy this very small meta idea.
Wednesday was another bad one; use wiki how to learn something new and make a work with it. After creating and submitting the work I realised that I could have made something a lot more interesting if I had simply thought about what it was that I wanted to do for at least ten minutes, rather than simply jumping into a thing that sounded like it would be good. I ended up creating a gif that featured a bunch of internet memes that I had created, slowly filling the television screen within a family home. It was a shame, but as I say, another day, another new piece.
Day 7’s brief was make a fake, of your own work. On this day I happened to be crawling through my old files as I had to reset my computer to its factory settings, and discovered a video piece that I’d created a few months ago to go alongside my film Utopian Realism. At the time I’d spent a day or so working on it but had decided against using it for one reason or another. This time I chose to use it, tweaking it slightly, ‘bob-ifying’ it, over-utilising certain video effects. This worked out well, but it did feel a bit dull still. Less like fun and more like work, albeit not a lot of work.
On Friday, make a work in five minutes, I decided to re-appropriate an idea that I’ve seen duplicated many times, the speeding up of a film; allowing the viewer to watch a whole film in a mere ten minutes or so. This is reminiscent of many pieces, in particular Douglas Gordon’s 24 Hour Psycho where he slowed down Hitchcock’s Psycho to two frames a second, rather than the usual 24. For my piece I chose to speed up Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me. Many hated the film at the time of its release, mainly because it didn’t actually answer any of the questions posed by the TV show. I feel that many people at the time probably wanted to see it, without actually ‘seeing it’, so I felt that it was the perfect film to re-appropriate for my original simple idea. I enjoy the idea of speeding up a film, and hope to use it for a more suitable piece in the future, thinking the connotations through a lot more as well as making it into a bigger thing, maybe cutting together multiple films by the same director? Turning someone’s prized collection into bitesize chunks of data to only be enjoyed on a visual level, with the plot not being cared about. This would work for films like Avatar or the majority of Michael Bay’s ‘cinematic escapades’, style over substance, aesthetic over concept. Diluting Bay’s entire film library into a five-minute visual orgy would be interesting. An idea for a later date.
Yesterday was a good day; with the brief being get someone else to make you work. I chose to take this brief on a journey through many layers of thinking. I began by having the simple idea of purchasing a piece of ‘art’ from eBay and the order details being the work. I slowly expanded on that by using a piece of work by Hito Steyerl Is the Internet úäCì@?ù.1HcpiÙîfê¿Dead, a digital piece where Steyerl intentionally corrupted a found image of a woodcut print by Utamaro, embedding one of her written texts into the image’s source code. This glitches and degrades the original image. In the video piece that I created, I have positioned Steyerl’s piece next to the screengrab of the order details from a painting of an elephant that I purchased via eBay. During the video piece, using the online app ‘Image Glitch Tool’, I attempt to recreate the general aesthetic of Steyerl’s piece, taking away the meaning of the work and simply focusing on how it looks, playing on how ‘glitch art’ is primarily centred on the first layer of a given work; the aesthetics. Whilst I was attempting to recreate Steyerl’s image, I utilised my webcam to film myself, which I then blurred out, giving myself a segment of anonymity whilst being embedded within the work. I’m still trying to work out why I put myself in the piece, maybe to make the process more evident, maybe to create a classic ‘rule of thirds’ composition or maybe to make it less evident that it’s me creating the thing, and that it could be anyone. I think I like this third option the most, as it furthers the point that anyone could be doing this, that there’s no real skill in what I’m doing. The slowed down keyboard tapping accompanies the manipulation, serving as a soundscape at times, perfectly fitting with the continuous distortion of the screengrab. I like how it turned out and feel that it fitted into the brief quite well, using someone else’s work, an online application that does your work for you and an image of someone else’s painting, all coming under the banner of get someone else to make your work.
Today’s brief was use a readymade/existing object as todays work, put your own concept on it, does it still work? In response to this I decided to create an assemblage of sorts, taking quick screengrabs of the various windows that are constantly open on my computer whilst I’m working. The central clip consisted of all the Google Image results that come up when you type in ‘readymade art’, accompanied by the Google Search bar, a segment of the final episode of House of Cards from season 4, a slice of scrolling through my own Facebook feed and a square from writing this blog post. Looking at myself as the readymade, or the screen/applications/media that I interact with every day. It also takes ideas from earlier projects of mine, surveillance and the overconsumption of various screen-based forms. The sound experience that goes along with it is a mixture of different House of Cards recordings, the typing on a keyboard and Blank Banshee’s Teen Pregnancy. All part of my daily routine with various connotations embedded within each of them.
The rest of my time this week has been taken up by consuming the screen, using my ‘free’ time to indulge in incredibly rich video games and certain films that I haven’t got around to watching until now.

Playing Oxenfree was definitely an intriguing experience, a supernatural 2.5D adventure game that follows a group of teenagers who open a rift to an alternate dimension whilst exploring a deserted island. Throughout the game you play as Alex, attempting to discover what’s going on whilst interacting with the different members of your group to form unique bonds that impact the games narrative. In Oxenfree I began to feel connected to these characters, due in part to the well-written dialogue that actually felt like you were having a conversation with a teenager, rather than in Life Is Strange, for example, where all your interactions with fellow students felt like a 45-year-old man’s perspective on how young people speak in today’s society. This connectivity made the ‘choice and consequence’ mechanic all the more pertinent, getting you to choose between saving Clarissa or Ren, for example, becomes a lot harder when you’re actually invested in them as individuals. Although this mechanic is used a lot in video games, in any of Telltale’s games or throughout the Fallout series for example, I feel like it actually worked well here and to the games advantage, rather than simply embedding it for replay value alone. The art style is also quite beautiful and unique, especially when the screen glitches when time is being manipulated and distorted within the narrative.
Pony Island was another video game that I consumed this week, coming under the ever-growing banner of ‘games about games’ it describes itself as ‘a metafictional game that has the player interact with what appears to be an old arcade cabinet game called “Pony Island”’. As you progress through the game you are tasked with deleting the very game that you’re playing, as it’s apparently the manifestation of the devil itself. Like The Stanley Parable the game seems to be having a dialogue with the participant, in a literal way in terms of the message boxes that pop up throughout the two-hour experience as well as in a not-so-literal sense when it’s teaching you how to play the game within the game. To give you a sense of how the game attempts to fuck with you, as I was playing the video game on my laptop, messages kept popping up from Steam, enquiring whether or not my game had been ’hacked’. This turned out to be an incredibly inventive tactic used to make me look away from the screen, stopping me from concentrating on a certain puzzle and failing that part of the video game. This was genius. There was another point where the game was briefly minimised because a virus on my computer had opened a pop up ad. There was a brief, five second or so period, where I wondered whether or not the game was simulating this virus, or if it was just my computer having a normal virus. Even if that’s not even possible to do, making me think that it’s possible is an incredible feat to have accomplished. I would definitely recommend investing two hours of your time having your mind fucked with for a mere £3.99.
I also played a little game called Unravel where you step into the shoes of ‘Yarny’, a small, wine glass sized anthropomorphic creature made of yarn. The central mechanic that sees you navigating through various environments involves the unravelling of your own body. This incredibly dark aspect of the game, having to loose parts of yourself to continue your journey, is never really commented on. Similar to the character of Kirby and how he ‘sucks up’ creatures in order to gain their different abilities. This happens a lot in video games, particularly ones designed for children, where a key gameplay mechanic is actually devil-esque in its nature, I feel that there are definite parallels between this and old kids tv shows where the majority of what’s being said is centralised around sexual innuendos. It was a lovely game; but nothing more than that, with the main mechanic becoming quite dull a little too quickly.
Beyond: Two Souls was another piece of interactive fiction that I dipped into this week. I’ve enjoyed the majority of Quantic Dream’s video games, Fahrenheit being a particular favourite alongside Heavy Rain. I am still yet to fully experience the whole story, but compared to other games in the genre of ‘interactive drama’ I feel that, at this point, it doesn’t really stand up to some of my favourites that I mentioned in last week’s post. The breaking of a spell that was over my past self for a while.
The final game that I experienced this week was a beautiful game called Rayman Legends. A game I used to play a few years ago, one that brings up various memories of how my life used to be. It’s interesting to consider how, due to the interactive nature of a video game, the emotions that can be conjured up are far superior to that of a film. I feel that muscle/procedural memory is one of the factors that contribute to this; learning to interact with the medium allows you to be more invested in what’s occurring as you’ve given more of yourself to this active experience, rather than a passive medium like film or television. I’m really looking forward to seeing what people manage to do with video games in the future, the rise in VR and AR technology being a key factor in this.
Saying that, I did watch a few films and finished House of Cards, which was quite incredible. I’m really enjoying how dark it’s getting, how the layers of Frank and Claire’s marriage are slowly peeling away to show their true selves. The last shot of season 4 eloquently sums this up for me. I really enjoyed it and can’t wait for season 5, whenever that’s going to come out.
I finally got around to watching Blue Velvet, a definite gap in my ‘film bank’ that I’m happy to have filled. It was a beautifully dark tale, which needs no real introduction. I also watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me which was quite great. Giving no answers to the unanswered questions of the tv show, but that’s obviously demonstrated within the first ten seconds, where we see a television being smashed into pieces with an axe. I found ‘the scene that everyone knows’ to be incredibly disturbing and worked so very well due to the simply awesome acting by Sheryl Lee.
I also watched Victoria which was breath-taking. The ‘one shot’ aspect was awesome and is definitely the thing that draws you in most but you do find yourself slowly becoming enthralled by the cast of characters as you slowly learn more about them through extended ‘dialogue heavy’ scenes filled with well-acted discussion. Another simply astonishing film was Upstream Color, directed by the same person who created Primer; the undeniably amazing sci-fi indie film of 2004. I would highly recommend everyone to see UC, for the majority of the film I felt incredibly uncomfortable and generally perturbed and astounded as to what was going on in front of my eyes. I don’t want to spoil it by actively describing what occurs during its 1 hour and 36-minute running time. I would just go and watch it.
Alongside this I saw Hail Caesar! Which I found to be quite exuberant and visually appetising. Unfortunately for me it didn’t quite have enough substance to back up what was occurring on screen and there was no real moment where the whole thing was turned on its head, in the classic Coen brothers style, which was a shame. Whilst I’m saying this though, I’m very aware that I thoroughly enjoyed it. To go along with this, I watched Beneath the Planet of the Apes, whose ending was just laughable. The whole thing was a complete downgrade of the original, which was quite saddening.
One of the highlights of the week was Mr. Nobody. A film where an elderly man reflects on his life, and all the different paths that he could have taken. With heavy Cloud Atlas vibes, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Quite a heart-warming tale centralised around the loss of memory and what it means to be old. Really interesting. Another sci-fi film was The Man from Earth, a very well researched film that involves a man admitting to his colleagues that he is in fact 14,000 years old. The bulk of the film is made up of the man being questioned by various professionals about where he’s come from and who he’s ‘been’ in history. It offered a really interesting, fresh look at what a 14,000-year-old man would be like in today’s society; just a ‘normal’ person.
I know that I watched many more, but unfortunately I’ve completely forgotten and lost the majority of my browser history (due to having to reset my computer earlier in the week) which is a shame. When these things happen I always feel like I’ve lost a slice of my life, a segment of time that will only be remembered when someone says ‘have you seen …’ and I immediately remember an incredibly important film that I’ve missed off this list. This reliance on other people is never pleasant, alongside the serious overreliance on my browser history. It’s something interesting to think about in terms of artwork, something that has come up a lot within my work and will probably continue to in the future.

During the week coming up I want to finally start on my essay and use up this last week at home to its full extent, experiencing a range of films and video games before ‘serious’ work begins again. Although I’m enjoying 30/30, I feel like it’s slowly ruining my ability to actually create work with any substance, which is kind of distressing. I hope that in a week or so when I embark on a new project I’ll be able to readjust back into my ‘normal routine’, whatever that means. Anyway, that’s my week.

Enjoi.

Instagram:
bob.bk1

No comments:

Post a Comment