Sunday 3 April 2016

The Conversation, 30/30 and Dr. Langeskov

During the past couple of days since the last post I’ve been doing a few things, the most important being making a new piece of work every day for the 30 days, 30 works thing. Alongside that I’ve watched a couple of films and played a few video games. After being back from New York for a week now I feel that I’m slowly sinking back into the relaxed life, with the boredom of the country being pushed away by the one piece a day project. I’m sure a week from now I will feel differently, but for now I’m content.

The 30/30 project has been a weird experience, one that I’ve not taken part in before, the mass generation of work and ideas. I don’t know whether I like it or not. At this juncture it feels like my days are being slightly dominated by it, even though I’m only on day three! On the first day I attempted to create an installation of sorts which consisted of an array of old laptops piled up, creating a tower-like structure alongside a video work which utilised Sketchup and Rihanna’s Work; the brief was can you make a work, at work? The video piece consists of a pile of equipment synonymous with offices (office chairs, computers, plant pots, etc) alongside a video that’s within the video of an impact hammer literally attacking a road, all set to a variety of female computer generated voices repeating the words ‘work’ over and over. I was interested by the contrasts between the stereotypical jobs for the male and the female and how to juxtapose the two alongside staying in my Sketchup comfort zone. It was more ‘fun’ than good, fun is still good though. Although I was content with the piece, the lack of a good camera left me with my phone camera, which was a mistake as the final image of the sculpture looked terrible. I immediately made the decision to not make another work that would have to be photographed for 30/30 before I return to uni and my good camera, which is depressing, but warranted.

The second piece that I created was a 40 minute film that features a webcam video of myself, watching a compilation of all the endings from the Call of Duty video game franchise. The video of myself was filmed in the dark during the early hours of the morning, whilst watching a tv show, the light from the screen is flickering against my face with various amounts of light so that at points my face is lit up whilst at others the screen is completely black. I chose to have some fun with the layout of the different clips, creating a newsstand-esque aesthetic for the different slices of gameplay. The twisting of the different screens draws your attention towards the fact that it is a screen, that it’s a performance, a virtual space posing as a real one, something that I’m interested by. It also makes it more evident that I’m having this dialogue with the different video games, rather than simply being put in front of the gameplay. This aesthetic is borrowing from Neïl Beloufa’s video piece People's passion, lifestyle, beautiful wine, gigantic glass towers, all surrounded by water where he twists the screen, and plays with your senses. The cold, blank face of my video, seemingly playing these games considers how our first world society is (in the media’s eyes) slowly becoming desensitized to violence through the use of these FPS video games. Obviously this is not true and various studies have explored this, but I thought that it would be interesting to create something that explores this. The work reminds me a lot of Harun Farocki’s Serious Games, where soldiers are filmed playing an army game. I’m happy with the piece, but the lack of time to create the work made it so that I had to export the video in a very low quality, which is always a shame. The days brief was is your work descriptive, or performative?
For today’s brief could your work have another function? I decided to create a very short but simple piece of work using a variety of my old pieces. Putting a bunch of folder shortcuts onto my desktop, I then proceeded to screen-record my mouse putting them all into the Recycle Bin and deleting them forever. I then set this short – 40 second – clip to John Williams’ The Imperial March. The theme is used throughout the Star Wars franchise, usually occurring when Darth Vader strides into frame, so I thought that it was pertinent and appropriate as the song to accompany the mass deletion of some of my ‘art’ files. Although the After Microsoft background by Goldin+Senneby is my default background, I think that it works well with the content of the piece, the dying/gentrified landscape drawing parallels between the idea that everything and anything can be art. This is also being commented on by how each folder is simply labelled ‘art’ as opposed to any details, etc. This very basic premise of deleting something from your computer is used a lot within the art realm, one particular piece by Christian Schultz comes to mind; Foreign Policy Proposal where the genie from Aladdin is ‘deleted’ back into his lamp.
Apart from 30/30 I’ve been watching a few films, the first being The Conversation which reminded me of a good work of art, where everything fits so well, and makes so much sense. I loved the incredibly sensual/sexualised manner that Caul (Gene Hackman) adopts when he’s crafting the different recordings. It made me think of all the Cronenberg films, especially eXistenZ, when Pikel (Jude Law) is interacting with the virtual reality console, massaging and connecting with the device. I also enjoyed the scene where Caul is lying down, listening to his doctored tape; the then contrasting with the now, the two different scenes intermeshed to make one is an exciting cinematic tool that I look forward to repurposing in my own films at some point. I also watched L.A. Confidential which was another enjoyable classic, corrupt cops and Kevin Spacey make for a good film. Speaking of Spacey, I’ve also finally got around to getting back into House of Cards, although I’m very behind and only on season 3. Oh and I watched Kids and hated it. The way it was filmed, the acting, the plot. The ending was just awful. No fun at all.

On top of this I played a short game called Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist by one of the co-developers of The Stanley Parable, a mind-fuck of a game that I love. In this new – free – game it begins with you trapped in a sort of ‘waiting room’, soon discovering that you’re not actually going to ‘play’ the game, but instead going to be directing another ‘player’ through the ‘game experience’ that you were supposedly going to play yourself. Incredibly meta. Ultimately it’s as if the video game within the video game is in fact an elaborate theatre piece, not unlike You Me Bum Bum Train, and you’re the one who’s behind the fake walls, turning on the weather machine and letting the tiger out of its cage. Throughout you’re directed by an unseen narrator (Simon Amstell – who does an incredible voice acting performance), talking you through the game that you’re operating, feeding you subtle hints as you progress. It’s basically a game about games, commenting on how games are made (or the public’s perception on how games are made) and the creative process. It’s definitely worth your time, and did I mention it’s free? Why not.

Alongside that I started to play another video game called The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. This, as opposed to Firewatch, comes under the heavy banner of ‘walking simulator’ and is an exploratory game. I’m not sure if I’m a fan of aimlessly wandering around an – albeit beautifully rendered – uninhabited landscape, hoping to bump into the next item to pick up. I am only a mere 30 minutes into the experience though, so I guess I’ll have to wait and see. For the moment the story is kind of impenetrable, which may or may not be a good thing. Who knows?

Over the next week I hope to continue creating the daily projects as well as vaguely starting on my essay, at least the ‘research’ part of the experience anyway. I also want to watch more films, as I seem to have slowed down for some unknown reason. Anyway…


Enjoi

No comments:

Post a Comment