Monday 15 June 2015

Illness and Another World

Over the weekend I unfortunately didn't get a lot of work done as I became quite ill, this is obviously not a good thing. I did however go for some walks to see the sculptures that I had placed in different spaces a month or so ago. I went to the one near my house first, which is still standing, with plants slowly growing around it. This makes the work a lot more interesting, slowly becoming a part of the environment. I also went to one that's in Aldeburgh. This one hasn't been stolen yet either, but a lot of growth has happened around it, reducing your ability to see it from a path nearby, which is a shame. I do intend to go and check on the other pieces when I get a chance to do so as well, but for now I just hope that they're still there.

I also played an infinitely frustrating game called Another World. This came out in 1991 and has some interesting graphics, but it's gameplay is very much trial and error, making me repeat sections countless times. This was an incredibly painful process, and I gave up about half way through.

Today I went to Butley for a bit, to open up the moulds that I poured on Friday, some of them had turned out quite well, whilst the big one had hardly dipped into itself at all, which was frustrating. The tilted sculptures had worked, bringing to mind some interesting ideas about where to display the work on the wall, as some of the pieces are nearly at a 90 degree angle, enabling me to place the work in the corner of a wall. This will be something to look into further. It was a shame that the larger piece didn't work very well, as it was the biggest one that I have made so far, being about 40cm in width and 20cm in depth.



For the rest of the day I sat outside and read the latest instalment (volume 21) of the Fables graphic novels series. This is one of the final books, and it's slowly beginning to tie up all the loose ends and character story lines that have occurred within the novels. Overall it was an okay addition to the series, but not as good as the earlier additions. The last one comes out in August, and I'll be excited to read it then.

For the next few days I need to start to think about how to make the wood moulds perfectly straight, as opposed to how the cardboard ones are. I also really want to think more about the concept behind the work, creating layers of thought behind it, rather than just the initial concept. I want to find a reason why it's a square shape, rather than a circle, as well as why the dip is circular, and the overall sculpture is a square. Although aesthetically these things work, I want to find a way to tie the meaning to them as well.


Tomorrow I'm going to Wensum Lodge to get my results for my foundation course, as well as to take down my work. I'll also take some final images of my piece before I take it all apart. It will be the last time that I'll be obliged to go there, which is both exciting and scary. I'll also take home the outside sculpture that I have there, and probably end up putting it in my garden, as I feel that it's too far away for me to simply go there and check on it to see whether it's there or not on a regular basis.

Daily Snapchat:

No comments:

Post a Comment