Friday 12 June 2015

Reading and Prepping

Yesterday I didn't do a lot of work, as I was enjoying the sun and reading some Philip K. Dick (one of my favourite writers) short stories. One was called Exhibit Piece, which concerned a man moving through a time gate. It was a really interesting read, with a humorous twist at the end. It was also nice to try out my new Kindle, but unfortunately when it got too hot in the sun it stopped working, which will probably be a problem when it comes to going on holiday.

In the evening I updated my primary website with some photographs of my final piece of work for my foundation, along with prices. Although each sculpture is the same size, some are priced higher than others, as these are the higher quality ones, in my opinion.

Today I went to work at Butley again. In the morning I shined a bronze figure with sand paper, which took up a lot of my time. This was a tiring and tedious job, but it is an essential part of the process of prepping a piece of work. To combat this however, I listened to a podcast called Mark Kermode: The Soundtrack Of My Life. It was really interesting to hear all his favourite film soundtracks, and was a good supplement to his main radio show with Simon Mayo.
I then had to put all of the old shells from the moulds in the skip. These are heavy and it was a hot day, so it was quite a painful 20 minutes. 
After lunch I was left to my own devices, which was fun, as it allowed me to make a few more moulds and pour some wax. I made three small moulds, two that were made of wood and one that was cardboard. As well as experimenting with materials, I also played around with pouring the wax when the mould was at a tilt. This seemed to work well, but the sculptures hadn't dried completely by the time I had left, so I don't know whether it worked completely as I would have liked. I also tried out some more colours, a bright yellow and a light blue.

On top of this I made a larger mould, made from cardboard. This seemed to work well, with no wax seeping through the sides, but I think I have decided that cardboard isn't the best material to use as a mould, as it does bend slightly outwards and creases easily. So I think I'm going to solely use wood for the moulds, as long as I can get my hands on a lot of thin wood.

I have been thinking a lot about the daily aspect of this blog, and have kind of decided to write every other day, as during this holiday period I'm not going to be doing as much work as I was doing during the foundation. Although I may update it daily at points. Who knows really, I guess I'll see how it goes.


After posting this I'm going to watch the first episode of the new season of Orange Is The New Black, I'm hoping it will be as good as the first two seasons. I'll have to wait and see.

Daily Snapchat:

No comments:

Post a Comment