Tuesday 28 April 2015

Crits and Books

Today I came back to the idea of layers within the work, how the more sanded down the work is, the more I had felt like that particular emotion on that day. I started to go through all the sculpture designs, making sure that they conformed to this system, and slightly changing them if they didn't. I had to balance which was more important, the aesthetics or the meaning as a lot of the designs were completely changed after making them part of the system. I finally decided to change each of them slightly, sacrificing the aesthetics, but only by a small amount.
Peaceful
 Depressed
Forlorn

Later on I experimented with sanding down more wood in different ways, looking at how I'm going to affect the outside sculptures to reflect their emotions. I then placed some of the sculptures outside where I'm going to be displaying the larger scale work. I did this so that I could better visualise how the work is going to look when I put it outside in a few weeks time.


During a group crit today I was asked whether or not I had thought about where the larger scale pieces of work should go, or had just put them in the first place I had considered. Unfortunately I realised that it was the latter, so I need to spend some time thinking about where I want to display the outside work. I need to think about whether or not I should compromise if I don't find a spot that actually works with the sculptures, and just photograph them in my garden, leaving them physically out of the final show. This is something I need to consider in the next couple of days.

I also printed off some of my catalogues, to experiment with where I should fold the paper, as well as whether the layout actually works or not. I think that all the aspects of the pamphlet worked well, apart from the paper quality, as the images bleed through to the other side. So when I print them properly I will use thicker paper.

As well as printing off the pamphlets, I also printed one of the books out, sewing it together to see whether the pages were all in order. Fortunately they were, so I just need to finish the other three books in time for the exhibition.

Tomorrow I'm going to start cutting down the wood so that I can begin creating the smaller scale sculptures, which will take at least a week to create.

No comments:

Post a Comment