Wednesday 29 April 2015

The Final Piece and Proteus

I finally started my final piece today, using a mitre saw to chop the wood into 4.5cm³ pieces. After this I managed to create five of the thirty small sculptures. I don't know if they're 100% complete yet, but the basic foundation is there. I feel like if I can make all of them to a high standard in about a week, so I'll have ample time to put all the books together and make the larger scale sculptures. Considering this I may end up creating another book in response to the finished pieces, or something along those lines. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I will have enough time to accomplish something extra. In the meantime these are the five sculptures that I created today. When I have made all 30 I will photograph them properly so that the images can be put into the explanatory book.
Depressed 
Optimistic 
Forlorn 
Nervous
Insecure

I also continued to think about where I wanted to put the larger scale pieces. I began to look at potential sites around Wensum Lodge where the work could be placed. After taking a few photographs, it was obvious that I didn't have that many options to consider. I think when I have created the sculptures, I will experiment with the different places to see whether they actually look interesting or not, as the placing of them is quite important.




As well as this I started to consider whether I could place four of the five sculptures around the city of Norwich, and put together a map of the locations to be given out alongside my catalogue and business cards, to create a sort of sculpture trail. This was interesting to think about, but it would be highly likely that they would either be stolen or vandalised in some way. On the other hand this may be part of the weathering effect that I'm interested in, representing ones emotions slowly being forgotten over time.

I also thought about how I could place them in a range of different locations around Suffolk and Norfolk, photographing the work in these different locations and creating another book from them. In this case I would also provide a map, but it would be far less likely that people would actually go and see the work as they would be further away than just around Norwich. It would have been interesting if I had thought of this sooner, so that I could have made the sculptures, placed them in different locations, and documented them slowly degrading over a number of months. I could still do this, but the book that I would show at the exhibition would only contain the beginning of the project, rather than having the whole lifespan of the sculptures. I need to consider this further, so that I can eventually make an informed decision.


At the end of the day I played two really interesting games, one was called Proteus. In it you explore an island where everything you come into contact with has a different sound associated with it. It was incredibly beautiful and peaceful. The second game was called The Unfinished Swan, in this game you have the ability to throw blobs of paint at everything. This mechanic allows you to slowly uncover the world around you, as you start the game in a completely white world. Both of these could be considered art forms within their own right and are unique in their own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment