Monday 27 April 2015

Sculptures and Collaborations

For the past few days I have been preparing to start work on the sculptures for my final piece, submitting my research paper, exhibition proposal and library project. For my library project I decided to just sand down each side, attempting to represent the emotion of comfort. I feel that this was a satisfactory outcome for the small project, without having to spend too much time thinking about it.
 

Over the weekend I also started to think about expanding my proposal to allow myself to think bigger in terms of my final outcome. I decided to create 5 more sculptures, which will be larger in scale than the 30 smaller ones. These will be placed outside, being allowed to weather away over the course of the exhibition, representing how ones emotions are slowly forgotten. These outside sculptures will all be slightly different in size, making a statement about how each day has the possibility to be different. For the exhibition proposal I created a Google Sketchup model to show how the work would look outside, embedded into the ground, using metal poles so that they won't fall over if knocked by people or strong winds. This work will serve as a companion piece to the main work on display inside the building.

 
Today I began to create mini sculptures looking at which emotions I want to portray with the larger sculptures, this is always helpful, especially as I haven't made any sculptures for a while. It was also good to re-visit the emotions that I had allocated to the smaller sculptures, making sure that each emotion worked well with their particular sculpture.


I also started to create the last book, which will be an explanatory project, talking about the meaning behind the work as well as the progression that has occurred throughout. I began to add in the images from the project into the book, but I am yet to write up the short essay to go inside the book. This will be a reflective document so I will write it closer to the end of the project.

At the end of the day I created another short collaboration with another student, looking at the way our society is increasingly reliant on ready-made items. This was portrayed through a pre-bought canvas, a paintbrush, a paint bucket and a painting. These very short projects are fun to take part in.

Lastly I began to mark out the wood that I'm going to use for the smaller sculptures in my final piece. I will cut these in the next few days, and then start on the process of sanding all 30 down to portray the different emotions.


No comments:

Post a Comment