Tuesday 21 April 2015

Library Visits

I've been set a project, along with the other students, to make a piece of art on a wooden board for the library in Norwich. It can be anything you want, but has to be affiliated with the work that you're currently creating as well as being related to the library as a whole. So today I went to the library to get a sense of the space, gaining some firsthand research. This was important as I hadn't been there for a while. After doing this I began to think about what I would do to this piece of wood (about the size of an average book). Whether or not to just sand it down, creating an emotion that encompasses the general atmosphere of the library. Or do something very different from my project, spending actual time thinking about it. I need to consider this further, whether I want to allocate more time on this mini project, but less on my actual project which is more important.

I also decided today that I wouldn't use colour within my final piece. Although it makes the work stand out from the wall, I tend to lose too much of the grain when I paint the wood. Fortunately though there will be some hints towards my experiments with colour within the books that I'm currently designing.

I continued to work on the creation of the two other books. This is going well and I still hope to have them finished by the end of the week so I can print most of them over the weekend. I have also chosen not to have my blog in one of the books, as I intend to update this daily up to and after the final show, so I would have to choose a cut off point when I start the printing process. Instead of the blog however I intend to write a short evaluation of the project as a whole towards the end, which will be accompanied by pictures from different stages. This will be a much more cohesive version of this blog, making it much more likely to be read during the exhibition.

Towards the end of the day I began to write up my proposal for the final show, which will hopefully enable me to gain a good space to display my work. I also looked at a really interesting book called "Model" by Antony Gormley, centred around an exhibition that he had at the White Cube in London a few years ago. The blocky sculptures that were displayed look really interesting and seemingly simple, and the different ways that he has displayed the sculptures is something to reflect on in my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment