a r c h i v e

Sunday 31 May 2015

Concepts and Voyages

On Thursday I began forming the basis of an idea, thinking a lot about the pros and cons of all the materials that I have used in the past year as well as the range of sculptures that I have made. I eventually decided to start experimenting with plaster and wax, creating shapes that come out of the wall, slowly increasing in size. I started drawing my ideas and eventually decided to use Google Sketchup to visualise my ideas easier.


On Friday I went to Butley again, in the morning I was simply cleaning the studios and shovelling grog. In the afternoon however I made some concrete heads, this involved going to a cliff to collect sand and then mixing the concrete in with the sand and water, three parts sand to one part concrete. After creating the mixture I simply poured the concrete into the plaster moulds. I hope to do this again so that I can improve on the mixing process.

Over the weekend I started to experiment with plaster and wax, creating card moulds to pour the materials into. I also tried using wood too. I want to work more with these different mediums, finding out which works best. For the moment though, wax looks the most promising, as it slowly dips into itself as it dries, something that is essential to the concept behind the work, which I will talk about later. Plaster and wood doesn't do this, but I'm going to see if I can simulate the effect, rather than it occurring naturally. Although it naturally happening may be something to think about in terms of the concept further. The one con about the wax is that it will melt in high heat conditions, I'm going to look into how to stop this from happening by researching online.






As I make the moulds I have been doing drawings of the possible designs, I feel that these could become artworks within themselves, so as this project goes on I'm going to slowly amass them in a book of their own.
I also finally decided on what the main concept of the work is going to be, that of moving forward. The work coming out of the wall will symbolise this, but in the centre of the sculpture there will be a slight decline, going backwards to the wall. This will encapsulate the idea of not wanting things to move forward, but to move backward, back to the ways things were at the beginning of the sculpture. I think this perfectly describes how I feel at the moment, during the transitional phase between living at home and going to university. It is also looking at my whole life in general, moving forward, but at the same time wanting to keep parts of my former self intact.

In the next few days or so I'm going to think more about this, trying out the materials and ways to increase the size of the pieces, probably by using wood as the barrier, rather than card. As well as this I want to upload the images of my previous work onto my main site, as I am yet to do that, but I did manage to put prices on all of the pieces, which will be helpful for anyone wanting to buy my work.

Even though I have now decided on taking this work forward, I'm going to continue to save my Snapchats, as it will be interesting at some point to make them into one huge piece of work, whatever that may turn out to be.
Finally, I played a range of games on my phone, one was called Framed. In it you change the positions of sections of a comic strip, allowing a masked man to traverse from one side of the screen to the other, this was a really interesting mechanic. Another game was Last Voyage, which is made up of beautiful mini games, including a section mimicking the time travel scene in 2001: A Space Odyssey. The final game I played was called Adventures of Poco Eco: Lost Sounds. This is kind of a very simple point and click game, where you solve puzzles involving music and brightly coloured environments. All three were intriguing in different ways, be it mechanically or because of their aesthetics and I highly recommend them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment