a r c h i v e

Tuesday 12 May 2015

Sculpture Placing and Book Making

Today I drove around the world (not literally) to place my sculptures in a range of different places. Overall I feel that the experience was successful, but a couple of things did happen that I hadn't really planned for. I had originally thought that the wood poles would go into the ground easily, but unfortunately in some of the places this was not the case. To combat this I had to use water to soften the earth, as well as utilising a knife to make the holes a little deeper and sharpen the doweling to pierce the ground easily. Fortunately this worked well, but the sculptures did move a little when you pushed against them slightly. This is obviously something that I didn't want occurring, but it can't be helped, unless I were to drill the work into the earth or use concrete to weigh the pieces down. Another downside was that some of the wooden poles hadn't finished gluing properly, so were slightly loose, this couldn't be helped because of time issues, but in a perfect world I would have waited a few days for the work to dry completely before putting them in the different locations.
Tender                                               Angry
Happy                                                    Sad

When I finally got the work into the ground, I photographed them and got their co-ordinates using my phone. Unfortunately in some of the places I had no access to 3G, but I was able to find the exact location using maps when I got home, so it turned out that it wasn't that big of a problem.

I then added the edited images into the book design, as well as the co-ordinates. I also changed the layout of the different word emotions, allowing the feeling to be reflected in how it's shown on the page. For example, angry is in a huge font, whereas scared is tiny, crawled up in the corner. I feel that this adds a unique aspect to the book, making you stop and look, rather than just flicking through.


I also finished making the sheet that will be handed out during the exhibition, showing people where the outside work is and the co-ordinates alongside a map. These will be A5 pieces of paper, map on the front and co-ordinates on the back. I'm happy about how this turned out, how simple and easy it is to understand.
In the next few days I need to finalise my evaluation and decide whether or not to have the last book contain facts about the meaning of my work or quotes from other artists. I also need to print off the book that I finished making today as well as print off the map handouts (about 100) and finish printing the pamphlets I started on the other day. On top of all of this I need to make business card, pamphlet and map holders out of wood. Hopefully I'll be able to finish this by Thursday evening, as on Friday I'm going to Butley again and over the weekend I'm going to London to look at a range of galleries.

No comments:

Post a Comment