a r c h i v e

Wednesday 13 May 2015

Numbers and Displays

I began my day by printing off the large scale sculpture book, I think it looks professional and fits in well with the other books I have already printed. I also finished designs of the last book, deciding to have quotes from famous artists about the importance of emotions within art, rather than including short facts about the meaning of my own work. Even though it would feel good to display how much work went into the thinking behind the project, as well as explaining what every little aspect of the work means, I think it was a good choice to go with the quotes, as it allows the viewer to make up their own mind, making the work more personal to them. With the quotes I simply wrote the artists' first name, rather than their full one, adding an aspect of humour to the book. A sort of guessing game of who said what.

Later on I re-thought how to display the small sculptures, looking at how I could put each of them on their own shelf, but keeping the same layout. I then proceeded to build these shelves, making them 4.5cm x 4.5cm, so that the pieces fitted perfectly on top. I did this because I realised that, after reading my project evaluation, touching the work is a truly important aspect of it. The shelf enables the viewer to reach up and take it in their hands, feeling how smooth or rough the sculpture is.
After making the shelves I noticed that when the viewer came to put the work back (if multiple sculptures were being looked at) they wouldn't know which shelf to put it on. It would be a shame if they were to put it on the wrong one as the layout is very important to the meaning. To combat this I experimented with putting numbers on the back of the sculptures as well as the shelves. I tried using rubber stamps, die stamps, and simply writing the number with a pencil. I eventually decided on the metal stamp, because of how subtle and simple it looked.

I also made the paper holders today for the pamphlets, maps and business cards. This was an easy process, but took a while to accomplish. After creating these I realised that I would have to make the shelf that the books will go on as well, so that the different woods wouldn't clash, as I was going to use one provided by Wensum Lodge. After making it I was glad that I did, as I was able to make quite a big one, about 80cm in length. This will enable multiple audience members to read my books at the same time.
I decided to not paint any of the wooden structures that I made today, allowing the different wood from the sculptures and the holders to have a conversation with one another. There was also a time issue.


Tomorrow I hope to completely finish the project, printing off the last book as well as the maps and rest of the pamphlets. I'm really happy about how everything is turning out, and hope that putting up the work is a simple process.

No comments:

Post a Comment