a r c h i v e

Sunday 24 May 2015

Finished

On Thursday I completely finished my foundation, this involved bringing in all my experiments and sketchbooks from the project so that my exhibition space could be signed off. This all went smoothly and I was happy about how I had presented all of the sculptures that I had made throughout the past three months. I was a little sad about leaving a place that I had been going to for the past 9 months or so, as I was beginning to enjoy it, but all things must come to an end.



On Friday I went to Butley once again, this was a hard but interesting day. I helped to strap moulds in the morning, a process that occurs after they have been in the furnace but before the bronze is poured into them. Occasionally the moulds will crack in the furnace, so you have to use a thread mesh dipped in plaster to reinforce them, to stop the bronze seeping out. This took a lot of time and effort, so by the time we had finished there were only a few hours in the day left, spent cleaning up the main studio and shovelling grog. At around five o'clock a group of people from the nearby village came to watch the bronze being poured, as well as to have a BBQ, this was fun.
As my foundation has basically come to an end now, I'm going to start working at Butley on Tuesdays too, this will help me to learn the processes at a faster rate, slowly becoming more comfortable with it all.

Over the weekend I have been thinking a lot about my next project, thinking about whether I want to continue making work looking at my emotions, or start a fresh with a completely new idea. It will probably be the latter, as I feel that my last two major pieces of work have looked at my own personal emotions. So I think I'd like to stay away from them for a bit, but stay with the idea of my work relating to me personally.

Some of the ideas that I have been thinking about at the moment include compiling my Snapchat (bob.bk) stories into different categories, and having those as pieces of art within their own right. This would be very easy to achieve, simply saving every video that I create and at some point putting them together using video software. Another idea would be to make a piece of art surrounding the work that I do at Butley, creating simple sculpture from the off cuts of bronze. I intend to think about this further over the next few days, taking into account how much time I have to make the work (pretty much the whole summer) and what I actually want to achieve in that time.


Also over the weekend I watched the completely crazy film that is "The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water". Although it's obviously considered a kids film there were some interesting moments within it, including a time travel scene as well as a talking dolphin, not to mention how many references there were for the adults who choose to watch this sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment