a r c h i v e

Saturday 2 May 2015

Plaster Heads and Another Book

I went to Butley (the artist studio) again yesterday to continue my work experience/internship. At the beginning of the day I cleaned up the foundry and shovelled grog, but later on I helped to make some plaster heads. This was an interesting task and I learnt a lot from it. In the afternoon I had a similar experience but with concrete, instead of plaster. It was intriguing to see how the two materials reacted in different ways to the same procedure. I look forward to going next week and learning more about all the different parts of the bronze casting process that culminates with a finished piece of art. All these new techniques that I'm learning are going to be really helpful later this year when I go to university.

At the end of the day I played an intriguing game called Valiant Hearts, where you play as four different people whose lives interject with one another throughout the game. This is going on whilst the first world war is occurring, which makes for a slightly depressing experience.

Today I continued to create the small scale sculptures, I have ten left to make now, so hopefully by Tuesday I'll have made all 30 of them. This is really helpful as it will leave me enough time to sculpt the larger scale pieces. I'm really happy about how each piece looks, and hope that they will come together as a group when I put them up in a few weeks time. Later on I experimented with attempting to sand down the top parts of the sculptures, as the grain isn't as aesthetically pleasing at the top and the bottom of the blocks. Unfortunately this didn't work very well at first, and when it eventually did, I had already removed at least half a centimetre of wood from the block. So if I were to do this on actual pieces I would lose a full centimetre. Unfortunately this can't happen so I'm just going to keep the sculptures how they are.
Downhearted
Inconsolable
Pleased
Tense
Irritated
Fulfilled
Peaceful
I also printed out and put together another book today, so I now have two out of four of them finished. When I make all of the small scale sculptures in a few days time I will start photographing them to put in the other book, as well as writing my project evaluation.

I then went to a small exhibition in Aldeburgh featuring Altea Grau's work. It contained a range of really simple and beautiful pieces of art, that I thoroughly enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment