a r c h i v e

Monday 18 May 2015

Painting

Today was centred all around painting the exhibition spaces. This is obviously one of the low points of putting up your art work. The whole experience was made much worse by people not coming into paint their spaces, valuing their time more than other peoples. So the people who came in were tasked with painting other people's spaces too. This was incredibly frustrating.

Luckily my space was made up of two new MDF boards, so was easy to paint, with no sanding down necessary. Unfortunately after applying lining paper to the sides of the boards to reduce the sharp sides, I didn't let it dry long enough before painting over the paper. This triggered the paper to curl and not stick to the wall properly, so tomorrow morning I have to re-do some of the space, taking up valuable time that should have been used to install my work.



Later on I looked at some interesting books. One was about Barbara Kruger and her conceptual work which addresses the cultural constructions of power, identity and sexuality. I then read a book about Tess Jaray. I really like her seemingly abstract prints and public commissioned pieces.


Tomorrow I will start putting up my work, which will hopefully be easy to achieve. The only aspect which I presume will take time will be measuring out the exact locations of where the sculptures will go on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment